Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 04:44 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

edit: deleted. Found the answer here already

Last edited by applor; 03-03-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by applor View Post
For the next stage of my build I was planning to tile the whole top of the slab before placing my calsil board and hearth/oven etc on top of the tiles.
I feel that it will be easier tiling the whole area rather than doing the oven build and then having to cut/tile around the curved shape of the dome and entry areas after wards.

Is there any problem with doing it this way or anyone care to comment on my plan?
You should wait until the slab is sufficiently dry before you tile over it. An uncoupling/crack isolation membrane before the tile would be the way to go too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply stonecutter. You must have missed my post at the start of page 2 though, where I changed my mind and decided to tile or render after the oven is built - so this is no longer an issue, though handy in case someone else had the same thought.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
I was afraid it as going to be hard. But believe me now it done you will never look at it again, that would be the least looked at part of any build, outa sight outa mind
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 03-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Apprentice

Yeah hopefully.

Picked up my extra calsil board today. The champs at TRM decided to let me buy only a half sheet of 65mm that I needed so really happy about that.
Saturday I will be cutting the calsil board to size/shape and then Monday I will be assembling the oven.
Just need to buy some bedding sand.

You guys all use a hacksaw for cutting the insulation board?
Old 03-06-2014, 03:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Can't see a hacksaw cutting something like that. I was thinking more along the lines of a small saw used by plasterers for cutting holes in plasterwork , they have small sharp blades so the don't rip the face paper off.
Sorry haven't cut FBI board but cut ceramic blanket ... Watch those fibers, respirator ... No kids around
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 03-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Apprentice

hacksaw was recommended by the supplier as it keeps dust to a minimum.

I actually did the cutting today. Majority of it with the hacksaw and it cuts really quite easily. The difficult part was the arch kept getting in the way - shoulda bought a panel hacksaw for the job.
At the end I had a long, straight piece to cut so decided to use my circular saw for that and save myself an hour of having to do side cuts etc.
Took about 4 seconds but the dust of course just went everywhere.

Anyways my pieces are all cut and assembled on the slab. I am busy tomorrow but Monday I will be laying down some bedding material and laying the hearth and dome

Will post my pictures then of before and after.

For now I must decide if I want to bed my hearth on sand or whether I head out early Monday and buy a bag of fire clay. Only comes in 30kg bags at $20 - I'll use maybe 5kg of that though
Old 03-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A variable speed jig saw (set very slow) and a straight edge for a guide works very well for long straight cuts. Actually, the VS jigsaw works great with all cuts for CalSil .

Old 03-09-2014, 07:04 PM
Apprentice

Yeah that would have worked really well. Good excuse to buy a vs jigsaw too. Ah well.

Picked up a bag of fireclay to lay the Hearth on and get it as level as possible.
Only comes in 30kg bag and I think I used 1kg at most lol.

I have upload pics showing the early stage of laying the Hearth and then after the dome has been assembled.
That wasn't easy lol, such a heavy sucker.

I am happy enough with how it has all come together. The fit is close enough. I have a cm or two gap around the hearth inside the dome - not sure if I should just leave that or maybe just fill it with fireclay?

The last picture shows the oven with some bricks assembled along the front.
I was thinking of doing this with my leftover bricks and it works out I have exactly the right amount to cover that front.
What do you guys think?
Then after the dome is rendered I am thinking of just rendering the concrete slab with a coloured latex render or something.
Open to suggestions!

Also had a quick look and did some sanding under the slab. I am happy enough with it so I will leave it as is now.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1861.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1862.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1865.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1868.jpg  
Old 03-10-2014, 01:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

G'day
Things are coming along nicely .... You must be pleased to have the oven sitting in situ now. It's looks really good . I like that flared entrance its going to be a real asset when working in your oven.
The bricks are a nice touch and fulfill the purpose of covering the insulation at the front as well. Myself, I wouldn't do coloured render around the oven on the slab. I don't think you'll find it durable enough. Consider smaller tile, a lot more cuts but easier to cut into the dome neatly. I struck the same problem and did this as well and am happy with the non stain surface as someone will always find a space to put down something greasy and staining.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 03-10-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Grammar