Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

I think I may change my plan and do the tiling after the oven is built, rather than before.
More tricky tile cutting but I don't think it will be that bad and the tiles I have would need cutting anyways as they are not 200x200 to fit squarely on my area.
They are free which is why im using them

This means I may start assembling my oven this weekend, though with the hearth being poured last Monday it may need more time to cure. It is still soaking up all the water I'm giving it!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
The most important part of the cure has Happened! Even thought the final bits of curing will continue over say a month, you can start construction now will no ill effects.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

True Dave

I let mine cure for no time. I used hebel, so it didn't matter and could start anytime. Lol

Seriously applor I would try and leave for a couple of weeks at least I kept my base slab wet with towels for around a month.

Not one crack.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:45 PM
Apprentice

Yeah except I already have hairline cracks everywhere and it's all getting rendered so none of it will be visible when I'm done anyways.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
You could get more perfect conditions for cement to cure. 29C average 70 per cent humidity. Down the road got new garage,fencing and driveway. Cement poured on the Friday, garage up on Wednesday, car in the garage on Saturday.
Could believe how quickly it was completed.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 02-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Apprentice

DISASTER!

Hey guys really need some help with this.

I removed the form work today. It seems the supplied concrete has just been far too thick on top and as a result none of the rebar seats filled and I have a heap of exposed re-bar.
I am hoping that it should still be strong enough but at the least I need to somehow fill in all the cracks to seal the rebar from rusting.

See the attached photos and please recommend my next course of action.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-crap1.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-crap2.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Get yourself a bag of premix cement based render, a steel float, (a rectangular trowel) and a small tin of "bondcrete.
The bondcrete painted on to ensure the new adheres to the old.
Then its a case putting some stiffish render on the floatl and using it to push the render into the surface then finishing the stroke away from yourself . Google a u tube on rendering you'll get the action
Good practice for rendering the dome.
Just for further reference concrete needs to be agitated to make it flow into spots . With a small pour like yours , just a shovel tip and agitate the concrete back on forth with that. The edges, you can get rid of the air bubbles by tapping the formwork with a block of wood
Regards dave
PS That concrete is set and looks cured to me. It will still be good and strong as well , and I'm not just saying that either.
You do have to cover that bare steel though. The alkaline cement prevents the steel from rusting.

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 02-28-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for your reply. I'll head down to bunnings today and get what I need, ready to render it tomorrow morning.
How much render do you think I will need? Ideally I'd like to smooth over the entire area and get a smooth finish on all of it.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
The render should come in 25 kg bags at the most? One of those and you'll have some left over.
You don't have to have a perfect job under there. I've never looked at the underside of that slab since I built it. Outa sight outa mind, you'll soon forget its there and no one else will see it either.
Regards Dave
PS if your worried at all Ill leave my ph no in you personal messages.

My Build

My Door

Old 02-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Apprentice

Hey Dave thanks for all your help.

I just got back from Bunnings, grabbed 2x9kg bags of cement based render.
Got a steel float, couple of buckets for mixing and a 1 litre tub of bondcrete.

On the bondcrete it says for bonding to do a light sealant coat first which needs 24 hours drying. Do you think this is necessary for my situation or can I just paint it on tomorrow and apply my render when the bondcrete is sticky?

Also picked up some animal netting (3cm) and 0.9mm wire to hold down the insulation like Liteceepers build.
That won't happen until next weekend though, since I have to get this rendering done tomorrow instead.