Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 01:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

G'day applor
Great to see your having some fun with your oven. Remember in your race to perfect the pizza one thing you should never trust is a perfectly round pizza ....
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:06 AM
Master Builder

Then it was a character line. Your pizza's look good. The whole process just keeps getting better as you learn your oven and master the techniques. All tasty!

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-22-2014, 03:53 PM
Apprentice

Thanks guys.

Yeah my main challenge is keeping the hearth at a steady temperature.

I was only cooking one pizza at a time - do you guys find you need to rake coals over the cooking area after each pizza to keep the hearth at a hot temperature?
Old 04-22-2014, 05:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Your ovens about 900 mm so you have 3 good positions for pizza. You'll find if you basically do one at at time you can pick a new position on change over,and the heat from the flame off the roof will replenish as you go. If you have reached that loss of hearth heat point you swap the fire across and take a min or two or some beer time for things to equalize again.
Ever oven is different and you'll be the expert on yours soon enough I'm sure
Regards dave
david s likes this.

My Build

My Door

Old 04-26-2014, 03:46 PM
Apprentice

Did another pizza night last night but just 5 pizzas for 4 of us

I was happier with my dough prep this time but unfortunately I have trouble opening my pies and my first two had tears when stretching - one tore on the hearth and the other tore earlier so I made it a calzone. Too much dough on the cornice and stretched too thin in the middle. I did much better on my last 3 though.

The last 3 pies (pictured) came out pretty damn well. Everything tasted fantastic. First is a satay chicken, second is Hawaiian (but half prosciutto half chicken coz the ham was off) and the last was a margherita with pepperoni.

I do a two day cold ferment of my dough (1 day bulk 1 day balled) and while it tastes amazing it also sticks to my containers when I remove them so they lose their round shape. It is the main reason why my pies aren't as circular as I'd like.

I also managed the fire much better this time. I now realise that once the oven is saturated to the right temperature, keeping a sizeable fire to the side will still keep the whole oven hot, including the hearth. My hearth stayed at the right temperature with no moving the fire or raking coals so really happy about that.
Also got better at rotating my pies to work on even leoparding.
Could have cooked 2 pies at a time I think if I had needed to.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1948.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1949.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1950.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 08:25 PM
Master Builder

Hey Applor - the pizza looks good. The taste the same regardless of the shape. A couple of things that might help -

I use individual containers with slightly sloping sides sprayed sparingly with olive oil for the balled dough, with a little flour on your fingers they will pop out without sticking.

While you are getting the sticking thing figured if you build your pizza on baking paper and then give it 30 seconds on a tray in the oven before removing the paper and the tray it is easy to control. The paper will blacken on the edges but it comes off clean.

I have been using 50/50 Caputo and wholemeal flour recently and that dough seems to be a bit more robust, probably from the bran still in the wholemeal.

Anyway, your pizza looks good and it is all a matter of practice makes perfect. The pic is one of last nights efforts - prosciutto, asparagus and roasted capsicum. Tasty. The bottom of my containers is square!
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-20140426_192216.jpg  

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-29-2014, 04:35 AM
Apprentice

Painted the oven on Sunday.
It went well.

I sealed the flue with high-temp sealant.
It went bad.

Thinking I may need to have a steel 'hat' fabricated to cover it all
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1951.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1952.jpg  
Old 05-04-2014, 09:36 PM
Apprentice

Well pizza oven is finished.

I sealed the landing with natural clay pot sealer and then sealed the joints with an industrial grade clear silicone which can handle 200c regularly. The entry area does not get that hot so all good.
Unlike my flue seal, I did a pro job with the joints and I am really happy with it.

Also been cooking some more pizza. Oiling the bottom of my tubs has made all the difference and my pies are now very circular and overall better and more consistent.
Had some good char bubbles on some. My only goal is to improve the overall leoparding on my pies. I find it hard to get the leoparding on the upper cornice like the restaurants do but I guess I just need more practice.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1965.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1953.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1954.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1962.jpg  
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Apprentice

Sorry, I lied.

It just didn't feel finished without a thermometer installed where the old one had been, with only a big threaded hole where it should have been.

Ground off the nut and installed my new one. Much better!
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1966.jpg  
cobblerdave and Greenman like this.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:46 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by applor View Post
Well pizza oven is finished.

I sealed the landing with natural clay pot sealer and then sealed the joints with an industrial grade clear silicone which can handle 200c regularly. The entry area does not get that hot so all good.
Unlike my flue seal, I did a pro job with the joints and I am really happy with it.

Also been cooking some more pizza. Oiling the bottom of my tubs has made all the difference and my pies are now very circular and overall better and more consistent.
Had some good char bubbles on some. My only goal is to improve the overall leoparding on my pies. I find it hard to get the leoparding on the upper cornice like the restaurants do but I guess I just need more practice.
Congratulations on finishing oven, its inspired me to do some finishing works this weekend on mine. You pies look really good. Have fun cooking.

My Door -

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein