Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2014, 03:13 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

Last nights fire went well for a solid 4 hours.
We got a very brief rain which put some pressure on the fire but nothing serious.

Amazing to see with this second fire that already the top of the outer dome stayed cool to the touch - barely a temperature change. Big difference from the night before where it hit over 75c.

On a side note I am finding myself looking at what oven to buy for my new house when that happens (and will be happening very quickly).
There are a lot of kit options available now, including a new mob called Jalando pizza ovens. They seem very similar to the Mediterranean WFO's that also sell through Bunnings but priced a bit cheaper.
They skimp a bit on the insulation like most of these cheaper kits and use a blanket for under hearth instead of cal sil.
Then there is also this kit I've found on ebay that I liked:
Pizza Oven Dome Outdoor Woodfired Wood Fired DIY KIT Instructions Commercial | eBay
At least they appear to have decent insulation.
Lastly though there is Ben's kit that Liteceeper built which is a strong contender for its quality though it does use bricks rather than modular so a lot more work to build the dome.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Crazy to have someone talking about the next oven when they haven't pulled a feed out of there first, but there you go!
Those Mediterranean ovens sold by bunnings are reputed to be made in china. And I agree that using a piece of compressed ceramic blanket is a bit cheap. Those small bunnings ovens were $990 when I built mine but my build came in at $1200. But that with ceramic and firebrick... The rest is a bit recycled but the working parts are the best I could get.
You might too consider casting your own as well like Brissie did, your skills have come ahead and most importantly youhr not afraid to ask questions And... post what you have done.
Anyway get that puppy dry first then get it cooking so you'll have the alround experience and you know better what you'll want in the future.
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Master Builder

I had a look at the one advertised on ebay, there was one at the place in Brisbane where I picked up the ceramic fibre insulation. To be perfectly honest I left happy with having built a brick dome and it worked out a lot cheaper. My 36" Pompeii set me back a lot less than that including the benches and cupboards, a roof over the top and quality S/S flue and cowl.

Were I do want to build another I would make some minor refinements but would still build from the same materials.

The six 12" pizza's at once might be a bit ambitious and you would be very busy if you could wrangle 6 at the one time!!

Looking forward to seeing the food from your present oven.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Apprentice

Looks like Forno Bravo may be selling here in Australia through a distributor so that has me interested.
Ideally I'd like a Napoli style oven rather than a Tuscan.
Off to Melbourne for a week and when I get back I'll be cooking pizza!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:51 PM
Apprentice

Just got back from Melbourne last night and have been flat out and will continue to be until pizza night tomorrow I think.

Wanted to quickly post some pics.
We've plonked the benches down so you can see those now. Need to install bracket supports though.

Had a fire roaring all morning. Think I had a piece of overly moist wood or two which held it back a bit and got smokey but after that it really got going.

After a few hours the top of the dome cleared and maybe 30 mins later noticed the whole dome was pretty much cleared which is great.
Ceiling temps hit 650c with hearth and sides around the 400-450c.
Needless to say I think it's ready for cooking
No cracks or anything, outer dome still ambient temperature

Just spent over $100 on pizza ingredients and all my tools have arrived so here's hoping I can actually cook in it OK tomorrow night.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1927.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1928.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1929.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1930.jpg  
Old 04-19-2014, 05:48 AM
Master Builder

Hey Applor - Looks good. Pic 3 does seem to show a crack. Probably not of any great consequence. Your benches look good.

We all have some of those cracks. I hope your pizza party goes well.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-19-2014, 06:43 AM
Apprentice

That interior crack you see was there when I bought the oven - there is another one in the same place on the other rear quarter too. You can just see it in the 2nd pic on the right in the same place.

When I said no cracks I meant the exterior, my apologies.

Glad you like the benches!
Old 04-19-2014, 06:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I might have missed this, but did you buy that oven new? I see a lot more a
Than one crack....

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Master Builder

If it was pre-existing then it must be a character line. I have a few of those myself, so does my oven.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Apprentice

Come on guys, I say in my first post the oven is 2nd hand!

It's been a busy weekend to be sure. First pizza night Sunday for 9 people.

Overall I think it went pretty well. Heated the oven for 2.5 hours and had it too hot to cook (500c or more on the hearth) so let it rest a bit to cool.

My dough came out really good with the Caputo flour (yum!) however my balls were too big and pizzas too thick to be considered Neapolitan style. Very nice nonetheless but I didn't get the leoparding on the cornice that I wanted.
I had one pizza disaster where my Italian Sausage pizza spent too long on the bench and wasn't resting on quite enough flour - it became my first ever calzone.
I also did some pizzas last night for just my wife and I. Certainly got better at it and had the oven ready to cook in just over an hour or so - though it was a bit cooler than it should have been but pizzas were still good.

Not as many pictures as I would have liked - everyone hovering around and taking snaps on phones instead of my camera

First 3 shots are of Sunday night showing the fire ready for cooking, me launching a pizza while my mum observes and then a photo of my banana dessert pizza.
Last photo is from last night of a satay chicken.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1937.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1945.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1943.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1946.jpg