Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 12:22 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

Ah I see, thanks.

I've just wrapped my entire oven with industrial cling wrap, can I now put the tarp back over it to keep any rain out?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The cling wrap should be enough to seal in any moisture. Leave it for a week then wait until the outer shell is really dry (I do 10 fires) before any acrylic coat. If you do the acrylic coat too soon you can end up with moisture blisters between the render and the acrylic coat.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:05 AM
Apprentice

Cool thanks for the advice
Old 04-02-2014, 03:31 AM
Laborer

Nice job Applor with the render, dont worry about how long to wait to paint the Acratex, once you have done the drying out fires and start cooking you will be to busy cooking to paint.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Old 04-02-2014, 04:49 AM
Master Builder

All things in their time.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 04-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
If it were me I'd be leaving that chimney unsealed for the moisture to escape whilst you drying things out. Like others have pointed out you'll be cooking before you will be sealing everything.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Apprentice

Will do then.
This weekend I plan to clean the work area out with my borrowed high pressure hose and then maybe mount my benchtops.
I've been collecting the tools I need too so everything is coming together

Just a quick question about my door.
The door that came with the oven seems to be missing its thermometer or something.
It has a thread M12 nut hole on it.
I have purchased a oven door thermometer, though the thread is different.
Should I
a) angle grind off the M12 nut and mount the new thermometer (it has wing nut supplied)
b) fill the nut with a M12 bolt and save the new thermometer for when I build a second insulated door

I have an IR thermometer gun already so I am still able to get full use of the oven if I go with option b.
I have been unable to find anything about the original thermometer or accessory that screws into the M12 nut hole.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
I've come to treat Bi-metal thermometers as a consumable item. I'm on my third now. Its a sugar/deep fryer thermometer from the caterers supplies ( $12). It reads to 400C which is plenty for baking. They have a piece of metal inside them than bends in the heat to give you a reading, and we all know what happens to a piece of metal if you bend it back and forth a few to many times. I just have a hole in the door 6 ins off the floor that I push it through. I can then remove it at will . No bent probe to worry about you just remove it from the door before moving it. ( Recon thats whats happened to the one that was fitted) You pull it out and put it away when not in use and it won't suffer in the wheather. And you don't have to modify anything when it needs replacing.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 04-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Apprentice

Oh really? That's not good to hear given this replacement cost me $40 or something (reads to 550c).
Do you use that thermometer in a 2nd insulated door?
Old 04-03-2014, 04:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
A read off the floor will give you the best idea of the temperature of the oven. You can use this to compare with the bimetallic one in the door. Mine old one is out now and reads 40C high from what it used to. At least I know that and can mentally take into account. The new one reads only 400C way to high for normal baking anyway and if it looks like it will max out ill just remove it from the door till things cool down.
A lot of those 550c jobs are used by inserting the prob into a fired oven about 1/3 of the way up the dome. Far more temp than found on an insulated door with the fire out , so it will do.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door