Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 05:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

G'day
All this discussion aside.
What the heck . ... Buy a cheapy block spliter and find out what you need after that... It will will work .. But get one with the rubber bit on the handle
Regards Dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Apprentice

Heh yeah as it turns out my mum bought an axe she was going to use to chop out an old tree stump but they ended up paying to get a pro grind it out.
As a result, she's bringing over her near new axe for me to use. It's not an expensive one though but will do the job.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:37 AM
Master Builder

Three cheers for Mum. I am sure that the axe will serve you well for the duration.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 03-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Apprentice

Tiled on Saturday. Spent some time yesterday building formwork out of MDF for the concrete render.

Will be grouting the tiles today and then next weekend we will do the concrete render.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1884.jpg  
Old 03-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Are you doing anything on the edge, or just caulking it?

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Apprentice

Yeah the edge is tricky was just going to grout it.
I know you can get those stainless strips but don't think they'd suit the theme.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:32 AM
Apprentice

OK so did the grout today. It's still drying properly so it hasn't been cleaned off yet.

Also spent more time today working on the formwork. The front is now done (see photo) just need to do the two pieces on each side and also build the box for around the flue.

Lastly, I had a quick attempt at lighting my first fire this afternoon. I tried doing a vertical stack with some really dry leaves and twigs on top. Unfortunately I couldn't get them to light with my little gas light or matches. Newspaper flared up really easy of course but it didn't get hot enough and nothing below caught

Reading up on the lighting fires thread and it seems a propane torch is the fail safe way to go so I might buy one of those and try another time.

Couple of questions:

1) how long after I have enclosed the dome with my concrete render until it's dry and I would be able to get to pizza temps? We've pencilled in easter as being the first pizza night so hoping it will be ready by then (plan to concrete render starting next weekend)

2) I assembled my modular oven without using cement to seal the pieces together which I read was OK but I am a tad concerned about where the front entrance meets the dome as there is a 5-10mm gap between some of the blocks. Should I seal these gaps inside the entrance? Do I need to worry about smoke getting in between the render and dome through the insulation?

Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1885.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1886.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1887.jpg   new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1889.jpg  
Old 03-24-2014, 04:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by applor View Post
Yeah the edge is tricky was just going to grout it.
I know you can get those stainless strips but don't think they'd suit the theme.
You might consider an exterior grade colored, sanded caulk.....joints like that won't stay closed for long with grout.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 03-24-2014, 05:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
I can see your concern with that gape between the oven shell and the entrance piece. Is it an overlapping fit like you dome?
If you were to seal it I'm not sure what would suit. Your high temp silicon sealer? A lime sand mix? I'm only sure that a Portland one would not be suitable.
Would Davids give us an insite?
Regards Dave
Ps "don't go over to the dark side young Luke" stick at the top down method. You'll be a one match bushie in no time
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-image.jpg

My Build

My Door

Old 03-24-2014, 06:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by applor View Post

Do I need to worry about smoke getting in between the render and dome through the insulation?
No, there's no air flow great enough through the insulation to allow that....unless you have a gaping crack in your cladding.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin