Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti

Here's a pic of a serious top down burn you might find interesting. It is at Jack Daniel's distillery in Lynchburg TN, US It is how they make their charcoal for filtering their whiskey.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn3920.jpg  
cobblerdave likes this.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:56 AM
Apprentice

Wow that's an impressive burn for sure!

On a side note, my helpers dropped off some wood today.

All seasoned of various types but look to be too big so I must go and buy an axe. Any recommendations?
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-dscn1883.jpg  
Old 03-21-2014, 02:17 AM
Master Builder

A 5 lb Plumb or Kelly and a garage sale or market is the place to find one. Buying a new one from the big green shed is expensive and the axes are not a patch on the old ones. $25 should get you set. No problem if it has shoulders like Dean Lukin if you are just splitting.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 03-21-2014, 02:55 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by applor View Post

All seasoned of various types but look to be too big so I must go and buy an axe. Any recommendations?
Hi Applor

What a co-incident I got delivered today a Fiskar X27 splitting axe, a bit pricey but excellent at what it does. Split a couple of tubs of river red gum for pizza tomorrow in 5 minutes flat. Doesn't jamb in logs as it has some super dooper coating. Online for about $115 and Big green shed for $139.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-2014-03-21-19.22.02.jpg  

My Door -

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Old 03-21-2014, 04:02 AM
Apprentice

Yeah looks like a top axe but definitely pricey.
I don't have a problem spending $139 on an axe but I ask whether or not it's worth that extra money over say a $20 or $60 axe...

Do I need a splitter and a hatchet?

Last edited by applor; 03-21-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:24 AM
Master Builder

No. An axe will do the job.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 03-21-2014, 04:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:

If you want to buy one that will last the rest of your life, I recommend a Gransfors Bruk splitting axe.....Gränsfors Large Splitting Axe | Gränsfors Bruk

I've had mine for about 9 years now, and it is a high quality tool. We have owned many axes, and mauls, this one has out performed them all. The first week I had it, I split a trailer load of ash ( it ended up being about 2 cords) and I never used my log-splitter. Ash is fairly clear though, and I don't recommend this axe for knotty wood...the splitting maul or hydraulic splitter is better for than. Gränsfors Splitting Maul | Gränsfors Bruk

Great tools develop character as they age too. It's more spendy than the cheapies, but if you get one of these you won't be sorry that's for sure.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 03-21-2014, 05:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
Yes this Fiskar axes are a serious piece of kit. I've used one to thin out re growth size stuff on a block before a house application ( no chainsaw noise so the neighbors don't cotton on)
They are a seriously sharp and well balanced axe. I was really surprised. But how are they going to age. That super sharp edge is going to need sharpening sometime ... Will it take a new edge. That super coating, its got to wear over time. As for the handle .. How knows how to replace that.
Aussie hardwood is tough .. Its full of iron.. It will tell over time.
I've just got a lite 3/4 axe a cheapy. I keep it sharp, carefully with a fine sanding disk on the angle grinder when it needs it. I always rub off the sap with some wet and dry and Kero and store it inside. Never do the leave in in the log in the wheather thing.
I would love to get an old axe head and refurb .. But in brisbane all the old tools at the markets are blackened up and polished up and are highly priced... One day, I find a keeper...
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 03-21-2014, 05:36 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Yeah looks like a top axe but definitely pricey.
I don't have a problem spending $139 on an axe but I ask whether or not it's worth that extra money over say a $20 or $60 axe...

Do I need a splitter and a hatchet?
Hi Applor

I have a range of axes, probably overkill, cannot help collecting things (shiny kit syndrome) the large axe tends to jamb in red gum, the small one is good for kindling and the wedge is used for the real knotty snotty wavey grained red gum which occasionally gets past selection process at wood lot.

Will report on fiskar as I get to use it, but a 25 year warranty should see the plastic handle (Carbon fibre) not an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in Brisbane - Vibrok Caminetti-2014-03-21-21.49.54.jpg  

My Door -

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Old 03-21-2014, 06:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day
That first 4 inches from the head on the handle is the real telling bit. A bit of overstrick and its hit. We have seen the fiberglass hammers and the carbon fibre ones come ..... And break over time. My old east wing is still going regardless. They have it changed "the formular" cause it works.
Now axe handles they are going to break in time....
The old saying goes .... I've had the same axe for 37 years ... 14 handles .. 3 heads .. But its bin a bloody good axe.
Regards dave

My Build

My Door