Old 07-22-2009, 12:15 AM
Serf

Default Re: Moving an oven

Anyway, if you have a trailer stronger than this one it would work out to be a pretty simple and economical way of transporting an oven. I was planning to just leave it on the trailer for the time being while I poured a new foundation, the position it over the new slab, jack it up, and build a new base underneath.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:47 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Moving an oven

I haven't been on the forum for a while, but someone just pm'd me a question about the oven build so I started browsing for what's new and this thread caught my eye.

I also have moved an oven. Our real estate agent told us we either needed to move it or demolish it (two years ago we bought our new house right as the market started it's nose dive, we were watching our old home value drop so we had to try to move it fast).

I had a pompeii with a house enclosure and loose perlite for the insulation. We moved two years ago using a rough terrain forklift. I asked plenty of questions for advice on the forum here before we moved it. I used a car jack to lift the concrete slab off the cinder block base just enough to slide two 2x4 under the hearth slab. I had a new cinder block base constructed at the new house. We with the spacing of the 2x4 we were able to lift the oven with the forklift. We used a strap to support the oven from sliding. In the move, we lost a good amount of perlite. We had to crawl the oven slowly between my old house and my old neighbor's house with inches of clearance on either side up a moderately uneven slope (see my avatar). The trailer for the rough terrain forklift had plenty of room for the oven once we had it out to the street. Unfortunately, the day before the move we had the heaviest rain we had had in months, so at the new house the forklift became mired in wet lawn (ripped through the in ground sprinkler). It was all we could do to get the oven on the cinder block base at the new house, but the enclosure was destroyed and the firebrick dome developed a crack. The oven was facing 180 degrees from the direction my wife wanted (but it is in the lee of the wind).

I patched the crack with refractory cement and removed the entire enclosure. Now I have a rebuilt oven with ceramic blanket insulation and stucco dome.

So, I saved myself rebuilding the dome and having to demolish the entire oven. I think I developed an ulcer on the day of the move though. It was pretty much the most stressful day I can remember. Good luck.