Old 05-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Insulating the vent area

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptone View Post
I just put in my casa 80 and used 1" of insulation in the vent area and three for the oven. I actually have 2" across where the dome transitions to the vent that results in a better taper from dome to vent.

outdoor kitchen - a set on Flickr

-P
And 1" is enough over the vent area as to not allow high temps on the outer layer? Ie: stucco?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Laborer

Does it matter which kind of chimney you use? Dura tech vs. a single walled type of chimney. I would imagine that the duratech chimney isn't very hot on the outside where a single walled chimney might be a lot hotter.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossano View Post
And 1" is enough over the vent area as to not allow high temps on the outer layer? Ie: stucco?
If you look on page 9 of the install, it doesn't show any insulation. I called FB and they said 1" should suffice, I would maybe to 2-3 along the very top where the vent meets the dome, as that is where the flames lick and hot gases go.

But there are two purposes to insulation, one is heat retention (which really only matters for the dome/cooking area. And the other is safety/touch, which for the right around the metal chimney is of limited value anyway because the chimney gets stinking hot anyway...

-P