Old 06-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Insulating Forno Bravo Door

Gang,

A friend of mine can weld me a door to my specs...

I was going to have him "incapsulate" a piece of leftover Iso board into the board.

I'm assuming if the Isoboard is "sealed" in a metal cavity then it should be fine.

Any issues?

Thanks
Dick
Old 06-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Peasant

Just letting everyone know that the zinc in any galvanized metal will vaporize and give you headaches at best and kill you at worst.

I wouldn't want any galvanized metal near an oven, esp an oven that gets to 1000F.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Now that is good to know... and my unsuccessfull door goes tiright on the scrap heap!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Apprentice

If anyone is interested the door I made a few months back has been in use for a while now and works very well. I have a few how it was made shots on my photo album link below...wayne

Old 06-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another name for soapstone is talc stone. It is in fact where talc powder comes from. Sand it and you'll make talc powder
Old 06-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Laborer

Wayne,
Your approach to the oven is very innovative and impressive. I really like the door, but i probably won't do anything that elaborate. i saw a few doors simply made of wood, but for the life of me, I do not know how that can withstand the high temps without burning up. So i guess i will find some middle ground.
Jim Bob
Old 09-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Peasant

Is it cricket to revive this thread? I, too, would like to know what others have done to insulate the door that comes with the Casa ovens. There are some truly cool examples of original doors in this thread, but less discussion about modifications to the FB door. Is that because it's better to start over than to add insulation to it?

By way of background, we've had our oven (Toscano -- yeah, I know, we wimped out! -- built around a Casa 100) up and running for about a month and a half, but retaining heat for baking bread more than one round of bread has been a problem. (We did order it with extra insulation in the hearth and 1" extra refractory cement over the dome for more thermal mass.) After reading several threads, it sounds like we need to insulate the door.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kathy