Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: how many thermocouples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post

Ouch stainless tubing, you can now see the why my projects are plague with cost over runs.
Automotive brake line is stainless, hit the car junk yard and see what you can find.

Chip
Old 06-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Automotive brake line is stainless, hit the car junk yard and see what you can find.

Chip
Cool, good idea

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=
Hope you didn’t mind the poke and hope you will be getting the hour glass out to impress the guest.[/QUOTE]

no worries. Actually, if I had an hourglass it would look really good perched on top of the oven. Thanks for the idea. I might look for one. I've been through all the temp measuring devices. I have a thermometer in the side of my oven another hole on the other side to take a kiln probe that has a porcelain sheath which is connected to an anologue (unpowered) read out gauge, an infrared gun and an internal air temp thermometer as well as a thermometer you stab into a joint of meat or loaf of bread. Increasingly use all of them less the more I cook. There is another trick apart from the semolina on the floor that the Italians used to use and that is to hold your fist in the centre of the oven until you have to take it out. 0 secs= pizza 1 sec= v hot ( roast Vegas, calzones 2-3 secs = foccacias, roast meats 4 secs = bread,puff pastry, general baking 6-7 scones, desserts etc. many = slow rost meats,drying etc.

Last edited by david s; 06-05-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Master Builder

That is some great info about the tubing. I need to replace a thermocouple and while I was there I figured I would add a well. Mine are just inserted in the mortar joint, so good to know about the SS. Thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Well KBartman, I may actually put 1 or 2 in. The one my refractory sells is this Digital Thermometer . I might just buy a few probes and install them as it should be very cheap. And then buy 1 digital readout like this, or even use my multimeter. Can anyone tell me, is it aKtype probe or what?
Richc,
Sorry I miss this question. Yes that meter does take a type K probe.

KB

Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

KB,

I did use 3/8" 316 SS tubing I picked up as scrap. I place on probe at 1/2" from the inside of the brick and the other abt 1/2" from the outside of the brick. My plan for the TCs were to monitor brick heat saturation for future baking. Since I have barely finished the final coating of the oven I have not measured temperatures other than confirm the TCs work. I did not think it was worth while to monitor until all the insulation was on. I just use a laser gun for my pizza but starting to get a feel on how hot the floor is without the gun.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Master Builder

Great placement Russell, With those two numbers alone you can tell where to stop your firing to hit your desired oven temp after the resting period. Just average the two numbers and that should be your total saturation temperature.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Faith,
Thx but karangi dude advise me on tc placement if i were only putting in two.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Journeyman

I'm thinking of buying this IR thermometer……..I need everyone’s opinion. Do you like it? Is the range high enough? If you know of a better one or better deal post the address, thanks all.

THERMO TECH Non-Contact Infrared Digital Thermometer w/ FREE Holster (-58¯ To +1022¯ F)

KB

Old 06-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I've got one almost exactly the same, but it's called ThermoWorks, but has the same range.It very easily "tops out". Don't forget that an IR only reads the surface temp so will record a higher temp than the oven really is at. The laser pointer on mine has died by the way, but it is independent of the temp measuring sensor so it still works.