Old 12-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: gaps between floor and walls

I can see a couple of options.
A. Move to Queensland
B. Start to build ovens (you have enough knowledge and experience)

Last edited by david s; 12-07-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

[QUOTE=brickie in oz;124435]We almost did that with Bundy in mind 15 years ago, but the humidity killed me, we went there in summer, you have to work in summer so gave it a go holidaying then.

On the other matter, my youngest daughters partner used to be a blocklayer for six years here in Townsville. If you thought Bundy was hot you'd die in Townsville. He is now a personal trainer full time and is making a good living out of it.

Last edited by david s; 12-07-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amac View Post
... as what would happen to a dome mortared to a floor if the floor is expanding under heat? Anybody got thoughts on this
Hi Aidan,
You don't mortar the dome to the floor. The first row of dome bricks are just sitting on the floor.

This is probably the easiest way to start your build. I built my dome around the floor and if I had to do it again, I would sit the dome on top of the floor just for convenience and time savings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Hi Aidan,
You don't mortar the dome to the floor. The first row of dome bricks are just sitting on the floor. .
Thanks Ken
Just occurs to me that if you build on top the initial expansion will push all the bricks under the dome walls outwards and they will just stay there while the others just loosen up. But I guess that shouldn't be a problem.
Weather here is pretty awful - wind rain and short days so it will be a while before I can get anything done.
Aidan
Old 12-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think the amount of expansion is going to have an insignificant impact on your floor bricks (a few millimeters here and there). All gaps in floor bricks will be filled with ash and invisible

Updated!