Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Modular Refractory Oven Installation (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   fire brick hearth (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f7/fire-brick-hearth-4685.html)

wrs 08-01-2008 07:28 PM

fire brick hearth

I have some bricks that are uneven on the hearth and was wondering if anyone knew what the best way to level/plane those down . That being said after reading this forum every night until my wife takes the mac out of my sleeping lap I feel certain that many of you know the remedy. I await your response and appreciate each of you.

Wayne in Austin Texas

Les 08-02-2008 06:39 AM

Re: fire brick hearth

Use a belt sander - I bought the cheap belts at Lowes.

Les...

wrs 08-02-2008 12:09 PM

thanks would a grinder with diamond cup work as well?

Les 08-02-2008 12:57 PM

I guess that depends on the skill level - I found that my grinder tends to go where it wants. :eek: The sander is easier for me to control.

Les...

Dutchoven 08-02-2008 04:58 PM

wrs
Also depends on the size of the cup...small one will be very easy to dig in to the bricks...larger one would be easier to handle...but I would follow Les' recommendation...look at that beauty of an oven he built!!!
Best
Dutch

david s 08-02-2008 10:09 PM

Try a masonary grinding disc for your angle grinder rather than a diamond cutting blade, it shouldn't dig in so much and you should be able to operate it at a flatter angle.

Wiley 08-02-2008 11:51 PM

Some people are more at home with a belt sander but for myself I prefer a "square face" on a sander/polisher. Unlike a round disc it's just about impossible to cut a "smile" using it and you end up with a really flat surface. Sand paper by the sheet is much cheaper than by the belt too with a larger selection of grits.

Wiley

wrs 08-03-2008 06:41 AM

Thanks again to all of you . This is an amazing site and knowing that this much experience is around made it so much easier to jump off the ledge and start this project. I am not sure how you have time to post pictures as you go but I will catch up in that area soon.

dmun 08-03-2008 02:46 PM

Also, remember the factory surface of the firebrick is harder than the interior: I recommend only abrading the edges that actually are catching the peel, instead of trying to sand the whole floor.

christo 08-03-2008 06:28 PM

I have a few bricks that are prouder than others.

Never got around to sanding them down. - with the herringbone pattern, I don't seem to have any issues with the peel catching any...

To me - I'd go with it and see if it becomes a problem before I'd fix it.

Christo