Old 05-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Curing

Here is the graphic. I like this one! :-)

I think this shows how a small hairline crack on the outside of the mortar (maybe from the mortar drying too fast) really is not important.

With the FB modular oven kits, you can always go ahead and assemble the oven, do the FB Blanket insulation and complete the enclosure before you start the curing process.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Curing-dome_assembly.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by james; 05-19-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Laborer

Thanks James

What about the hairline crack that is not in the mortar? It's in the vent section and runs from about 8 inches form the top of the dome all the way to the front of the oven right along the line formed were the curve of the vent area goes vertical forming the chimney. It is clear through as I can see it on the inside of the oven.

Should I put some of the mortar over it or just put the blanket on and start cooking.

Phil
Old 05-20-2011, 08:59 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

If the crack is bigger than a hairline, you can pack mortar on the outside of the dome, which will seal it. If it ever gets larger with lots of use (which almost never happens), you could patch it from the inside with a different internal sealing product. I would recommend that you mortar the outside, and then complete you installation and start using your oven! Then keep an eye on it.

It will be fine!
James

Old 05-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Laborer

Thanks James I desperately needed to hear that good news. Enjoy your weekend in beautiful Pebble Beach. Love the architecture of the homes in Carmel.

Phil