Old 08-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Laborer

Default Re: a couple of refmix questions

Amrit- Yeah, i was thinking the same thing about making a doodle. I can see what I want my oven to look like in my head, but its hard to draw it out accurately...i have some artistic talent, but drawing isn't included in that! I'll definitely be sending you an email though.

Mark- I just finished the vermiculite hearth actually. My original plan was to pour three inches of rebar enforced structural concrete and directly on top pout a 4 inch vermiculite hearth. However once i heard about how well the FB board insulates and how much easier it is to work with, i decided to only pour 2 inches of vermiculite atop my normal concrete hearth slab and put a layer of FB board directly under the cooking floor of the oven.

Hopefully once i get my FB board it will be easy to assemble the cooking floor. i've built out the cooking floor just to see how many bricks i'll need and what it will look like on the hearth. I've used some of the straightest bricks i have but it doesn't look like some of the pictures ive seen on this forum where bricks fit together to form a seemingly airtight seal. Is that a problem?I'm still wondering if i should offset the bricks, or do the herringbone pattern...ahh seems like so many things to keep track of! But it's ok, i'm pretty anxious to start building again!
Old 08-28-2009, 04:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Matt,
I did a herringbone, after you get the first row in and where you want it, it will come together easily, Take a few practice rows and see which setup you like the looks of best. Pick out your best bricks and use them, where you have little spaces it will pack full of ash quickly and hold them tight, And if you find your floor isnt flat enough for you, You can always grind or sand down any high points with a grider or sander....
Mark
Old 09-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Serf

Hi, I just had the firebricks delivered this morning. I have a 4 in. hearth poured, with rebar. I was planning on pouring an insulating layer but am now considering buying the ceramic board. Can I just lay it out on the hearth and go? Should I cut the insulation to the circumfrence of the floor and build the dome around it, or should I cut it so the insulation goes under the dome wal as well? Can the board support all the weight without compressing? Thanks for any help.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by testadom View Post
Can I just lay it out on the hearth and go? Should I cut the insulation to the circumfrence of the floor and build the dome around it, or should I cut it so the insulation goes under the dome wal as well? Can the board support all the weight without compressing?
Yes. No. Yes. Yes.

You can also build your dome on top of your oven floor. Just make sure no part of the dome is in direct contact with your slab; the dome should be completely surrounded by insulation.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:55 AM
Serf

Thanks, David, That's pretty much as I thought, but I don't want to screw things up at this point. Or at any point for that matter.
Dom