Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Modular Refractory Oven Installation

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Casa 2G users?

I only studied casa2g ovens.

Kurt
Old 03-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Laborer

I'd probably go with the Premio if I were doing it again (the Premio came out after I bought my Casa2G). I bake a lot of bread, so having more thermal mass and insulation would be good. I hired a mason to build my oven, so the $500 increase in the price of the Premio over the Casa2G would have been a pretty small percentage increase in the whole project.

Bottom line - building an oven is a very big project (at least to me). Had the Premio been available, I'd probably have remembered what my grandfather always said, "when you swallow an elephant, don't choke on the tail," and gone for the Premio.

That said, I would still probably go with the Casa2g if I weren't planning to do a lot of bread. I suspect it takes longer to heat up, the laws of physics being what they are, and the Casa2G is certainly an outstanding oven for pizza. Well insulated with vermiculite, mine does a very good job with bread but I'd probably spend a little more for the Premio in hopes of being able to get a few more batches of bread out of a firing. Most of the time, though, the Casa2G exceeds my actual needs, even for bread. It is all I could possibly want for pizza, even in very large quantities.

Karl
Old 03-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Laborer

Karl,
Thanks for the detailed answer. You said the Casa would take longer to heat up then the Premio? I thought an oven with more thermal mass would take longer to heat up and then stay hot longer. The Premio dome is thicker than the Casa. let me know if I am wrong. This stuff can get confusing.

Thanks again,

Scott D.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Laborer

Sorry if I was not clear; the Premio2G110, which is about 1" thicker, heavier and has more thermal mass than the Casa2G110, should take longer to heat up. FB says the Casa2g110 takes 50 minutes to heat up and the Premio 110 takes 60 minutes. My Casa2g110 takes nearly an hour and a half to get fully up to temperature, although I could probably cook pizza sooner than that. I generally cook bread after making pizza, so I want the oven to be fully heat loaded. I would expect the Premio to take somewhat longer.

Karl
Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Laborer

Karl,
Thanks for clarifying. That's what I thought more thermal mass would do. I guess for pizza less mass is better for quick warm up time, but more mass is better for keeping the temperature hotter longer. Which would probably make It better to make more pizza's one after the other.
Scott D.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishn4daze View Post
Scott, here is another couple pics of the start of the build.

Kurt
Nice pics, good to see the Casa naked as I have one on order and am keen to take it slowly on the build, not that there will be much choice in that.

Looking at the stand, I was hoping to have a lot of space to store more fire wood but I see that your brickwork is pretty wide, is that the recommended thickness for the side walls to support the weight of the oven or are you being extra precautious?

Cheers
Mark
Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Peasant

Mark, the wood storage area is bigger than it looks. It take's a couple wheelbarrow loads to fill. I can do 8-10 pizza parties out of the storage wood. I just measured it. The brick width was 12". The storage area is 21"W 32"H 38"D..Enjoy, Kurt
Old 06-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Serf

I just finished my 2G110. It was a fun project. The opening/flue piece is pretty heavy (I used my engine hoist to set in place). Don't get frustrated with the puzzle pieces, they go together well, just takes a little time.
Attached Thumbnails
Casa 2G users?-img_1650.jpg   Casa 2G users?-img_1651.jpg   Casa 2G users?-img_1656.jpg   Casa 2G users?-img_1854.jpg