Old 04-11-2011, 10:23 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Casa 2G 90 vs Giardino 70

Well I would eventually want to bake bread in it. And a small roast now and then. But how would adding more insulation to the outside of it cause longer heat up times. Wouldn't the added insulation just hold the heat in longer?? Or am I missing something??

Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Peasant

My main use would be for pizza. And bread now and then.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hi guys,

James here. There are some common misunderstandings about oven mass and insulation thickness.

It is true that a well insulated oven retains heat better than a poorly insulated oven -- because a poorly insulated oven loses heat through the insulation to the outer world. But all of the Forno Bravo ovens are well insulated, so adding more insulation to an oven with the mass of the Giardino would be overkill. It really would add very, very little benefit. As a general rule, ceramic insulation is roughly twice as efficient as loose vermiculite insulation. So if you calculate that in the past many ovens were insulated with 4" of vermiculite, you can see that the 3" of ceramic insulation that comes with the Giardino does a much better job of insulating the oven in less space.

For backyard pizza and roasting either the Giardino or Casa2G would be perfect. That is exactly what they are designed to do. The Casa2G ovens are bigger and heavier, they can do more (and they cost a little more) -- so really the choice is yours.

The question of oven mass also comes up. In general, the heavier/thicker the dome, the longer the oven takes to heat up and the longer it retains heat (although the quality of the refractory also helps with heat up time). Both the Giardino and Casa2G balance heat up time with heat retention for typical backyard cooking. The heat up times are really good, and I think you will be very impressed with the heat retention time for roasting and baking.

Again, the Casa2G is a little thicker and it will retain heat better for baking and roasting, but the Giardino is really very impressive.

If money and space are not an issue -- you can definitely do more with a Casa2G. But that doesn't mean that the Giardino isn't a beast!

I hope this helps.

James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Peasant

Thanks James for your explanation. I was ready to
Put more insulation.

Your clarification helped out a lot. For me, it more of a movability than cost. I would jump up to the casa, but I don't plan on staying in the home I'm in now forever and I wanna put my Giardino70 on a mobile stand so I can "easily" take it to my next home. With the casa, it would be too heavy in my opinion to do so with ease.

Thanks again.

I can't wait to start building my giardino. It should be
Good fun building.