Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 AM
Serf

Default Re: 40" modular in VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Yes, modular ovens do need to have the water removed slowly just like a brick oven. If the manufacturer has not provided any instructions on how to remove the water safely, then read the Oven Curing thread, located under Oven Management, Firing Your Oven.
James
Thanks. These are the curing instructions included: "Before using the oven as you normally would, it is advisable to briefly light the oven a few times to eliminate any residual moisture and settle the parts. This is more pertinent for ovens positioned in external environments where there is greater moisture present."

I found the oven curing thread last night and started on that. My manufacturer instructions say to not mortar the seams between the pieces for the dome. Supposedly to allow for expansion and contraction. I guess I'll have built in cracks then. Lol. The meeting of those wedges is a 3" overlap, so it isn't exactly a wide open hole.

Off to cure.

Milt

Last edited by miltcook; 09-26-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Serf

Placed Vermicrete over 3" of insulating blanket.

Not exactly round. I have some "touch up" vermicreting (is that a word?) to do before I place a final stucco layer. (I've been reading up on
stucco recipies, acrylic additive or not?)

Also, should I insulate the entrance and flue before I brick up the front?

Last edited by miltcook; 10-01-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Serf

First big fire:
Looks like it draws well enough:

Pushed everything to the side. You can see that the top cleared. Took 6-7 firings to get to this point. Took almost 2 hours to clear
the dome.

Odd thing. When I moved the pile to the side for pizza cooking, the other side of the dome "uncleared". I guess it's still a little wet.

Milt
Old 10-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Serf

Countertops came in yesterday.

Milt
Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Journeyman

Looking good!!

I extended my insulation out a little over the front of my arch. And a little around the flue base. But I didn't worry about insulating the flue very much - a lot of heat goes up there!
Old 10-13-2013, 05:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
If that's a ceramic flue I would insulate it as I believe a they have a tendancy to crack because of the difference between temp of inside surface and outer.
I can only go off what I have read in the forum, do if anyone has had more experience in this.... And would like to add further
Regards
Dave
PS do like those bench tops !!!

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Serf

Still haven't finished the entrance brick or the final stucco on the igloo. We're getting washed out here in VA.

However, that hasn't stopped me from using it!

I don't have pizza pics, just the normal looking pizzas, that cook in 90s!. But I did take some pics of the sourdough bread I tried. Got the recipe for the starter and basic loaf from texassourdough in one of those threads.

Temp at 500. Cooked to 207 internal. About 20-30min. Didn't time it. Added 1cup of water for steam.

I'm pretty happy with it for my first try.

What do you guys think?
Milt
Old 10-13-2013, 01:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 40" modular in VA

Gudda Milt
Looks pretty good from here
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 10-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Journeyman

Milt
Bread looks great, could you email me a loaf? How did you apply the water to create the steam?

Link to my photo album:

Link to my build: