Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Wood Storage Door vs. Critters (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/wood-storage-door-vs-critters-2411.html)

Ken524 08-20-2007 12:09 PM

Wood Storage Door vs. Critters

I notice many builders have not included doors on their wood storage areas. I'm on the fence as to whether I should include a door.

For those of you that don't have doors, do you have problems with critters wondering in there?

I'd hate to be rooting around the wood and surprise something that has made a new home in the wood storage area!

Ken

rlf5 08-20-2007 12:16 PM

Re: Wood Storage Door vs. Critters

I don't know about anyone else, but I plan on putting a door on mine. If the possums or snakes don't take root up in there, then my dogs sure will try. Also, the rain down here tends to come in sideways sometimes, so I'd need a door to keep the wood dry.

DrakeRemoray 08-20-2007 12:38 PM

No door on mine. Found a nice little mouse nest in there when loading in some new wood and rotating dry stuff to the front. We have the Hanta Virus here, so that got me a little worried...no way to attach a door at this point, and don't want to poison my wood...thinking about a trap.
Homepage | CDC Hantaviruses

Drake

Ken524 08-20-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrakeRemoray (Post 13998)
No door on mine. Found a nice little mouse nest in there when loading in some new wood and rotating dry stuff to the front. We have the Hanta Virus here, so that got me a little worried...
Drake

Drake,

I'm designing a door frame/ jam as we speak. Your post is all I needed to convince me I need a door!

Thanks,
Ken

BrianShaw 08-20-2007 02:42 PM

There's not a door tight enough to keep out the pests frequently seen in my backyard - black widow spiders. Ewwwww.

Ken524 08-20-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianShaw (Post 14015)
There's not a door tight enough to keep out the pests frequently seen in my backyard - black widow spiders. Ewwwww.

We have a few of those here in KY as well. Brown Recluse as well :eek: .
The harmless snakes scare me much worse than the venomous spiders.:o

Ken

wlively 08-20-2007 03:02 PM

I will be putting on doors for looks. As for critters, that and being 6'3" I decided to build a wood trolley out of the spare form lumber and lathe. That way I can pull the trolley out and easily get the wood, then wheel it back in. Hopefully I can complete that this weekend.

Ken524 08-20-2007 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlively (Post 14017)
I decided to build a wood trolley out of the spare form lumber and lathe... Hopefully I can complete that this weekend.

Don't forget to post pictures!

Ken

wlively 08-22-2007 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, you asked for it so here it is. Remember it is not a work of art, just practical use of spare lumber. Well, that and $30 worth of Home Depot extras.:)

Not quite finished, not sure if I want to put a rail around it or not.

maver 08-22-2007 08:07 PM

Wade, I like the design. Three such carts sized to split the storage area into thirds would allow for a very efficient use of the space. Heck, you could make the middle one a bit longer and integrate a "door" with a handle on it that occludes most of the opening.