Old 04-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Wind???

I really like that idea, that's what I will do on my next oven.

Mike
Old 04-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Journeyman

Hi All,

Golly, I must be a "fair weather cook" since I don't fire up the oven when it gets windy. Really windy days are unpleasant since it is dusty here in the desert and sand gets lifted from the ground by gusts and has been known to pit windows and paint on autos. I know it stings bare skin. Now that is some wind !!

Cheers,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Bob,

I don't blame you for taking a break in the wind. I've been caught in a wind storm before and it is not easy to see or breathe, much less eat or cook. Cooking in those conditions would certainly redefine the terms dirty steak or ground beef!

John
Old 04-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maybe we should clarify windy. In my case, breezy is more appropriate. Maybe 12-20 mph nearly every nice day. Windy would be the word on those days just before or after a weather front comes through 25-40 mph. In either case, it is too much swirling in my oven and the big fires just don't burn right, so I position my door according to which side of the oven is not burning well.

RT
Old 04-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Serf

Thank you all very much,

It appears that I really don't have much of a problem at all, some of you have overcome a lot more problems than I may ever see.

On with the build, to hell with the wind! When I pick where to place the opening will be mother nature will blow accordingly!

Now to go get a camera?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Journeyman

Hello Thats Hot and GF,

Our wind is often sudden and violent. You can't plan for a dust storm but if it is simply a "front" moving through then you can usually decide if you want to plan a cook or not. The weather forecasters do a fair job of predicting wind but rain is another matter entirely.

It is rainy here today. The openings to my ovens (yes, two) are faced northerly by easterly and avoid most of the wind driven rains, but not all. I just checked them and they are damp but not soaked, thank goodness. I've got them covered but not weatherproofed to driving rain and howling wind. We have more nice days than harsh so it is best to plan for the good times and protect for the worse of times.

Photos of oven #2 to be posted soon.

Cheers,

Old 04-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't get me started on weather forecasters My 2 dogs are as good as any meteorologist For 9 months of the year all of them, from national (Weather Channel) to local TV, throw a 40% chance of rain out there for FL. Literally when it appears on doesn't apear on radar within 100 miles, they change the forecast. Makes it really hard to plan anything in advance, you need to be ready to go with a couple of hrs notice or just plan on getting wet. And of course if it rains, its gonna blow...usually horizontal rain.
OK, I'm through whining...anyone have any cheese

RT
Old 04-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Serf

Weather forcasters, bah humbug

I called our local CBS station and said I'd work for half of what your paying him and my quarter is shinyer than his

We to seem to have wind that blows in all directions at the same time, I think it's best to pick a spot, put up a pole with a wind tail and watch it for a week and see what it does and go from there but Les does have the best idea.

I wonder what a 10,000 lbs lazy susan is going for these days
Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats Hot View Post
Les does have the best idea.
I wonder what a 10,000 lbs lazy susan is going for these days
Thats probably why no one has done it.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.