Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Why smooth dome ? Why not multi sided stepped dome ? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/why-smooth-dome-why-not-multi-15175.html)

uk_exile 01-11-2011 10:56 PM

Why smooth dome ? Why not multi sided stepped dome ?

Creating a smooth circular dome seems to create a lot of cutting work, angles, wedges etc. I understand circular dome works better than a barrel vault oven but would a simple multiple sided stepped dome work ok ???
i.e. use say 12 full bricks on first row then reduce to 11 next row, laying them flat, no wedges, perhaps 10 next row again flat then, say 8, 6 etc until the stepped dome is closed.
I know interior will be a bit 'chunky' so airflow wouldn't be as smooth but would that really matter ? Higher rows could be half bricks rather than full bricks however there would still be steps between each layer. Of course structurally it wouldn't be as strong as a proper angled dome but a bit mortar would hold it together I think.
Just a labour saving thought that's most likely been covered many times but there's so much on here I couldn't find it using search.

brickie in oz 01-12-2011 12:27 AM

Re: Why smooth dome ? Why not multi sided stepped dome ?

Any shape will work, what ever floats yer boat.
Its all about thermal mass and insulation. :)

david s 01-12-2011 12:54 AM

Having a flat surface pointing toward the centre of the hemisphere, you would think that you'd get better heat reflection and radiation.But maybe it doesn't matter that much.

Lburou 01-12-2011 07:27 AM

In the back of my mind, I'm thinking there is something lacking in the support for each chain that way....I don't think it would be as strong.

May be strong enough, but with the dome constructed per the plans, you know it will be sturdy enough. I recommend a safe way out and build according to the plans. It doesn't have to be purdy ;)

Good luck!

dmun 01-12-2011 07:48 AM

Quote:

Of course structurally it wouldn't be as strong as a proper angled dome
This would be less true on the first chains that only overhang by an inch or less, but when you get to the top of your dome, you are going to have more brick hanging out than the part that supports it, and you run a serious risk of failure.
Quote:

a bit mortar would hold it together I think.
I wouldn't count on any mortar having much tensile strength. Heating and cooling ovens are in constant motion, and at the first bit of cracking you're going to loose any "glue" effect.
Quote:

Creating a smooth circular dome seems to create a lot of cutting work, angles, wedges etc.
Perfect fit domes are an exercise in craftsmanship only. The original pompeii plans called for bricks halved with a brick set, and an opening supported by angle iron. Major brick cutting will yield a dome that looks better, but not one that cooks better.

brickie in oz 01-12-2011 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmun (Post 105832)
you are going to have more brick hanging out than the part that supports it

Not if you only corbel each course 40mm you wont..:)

You would have to support the oven when building it, but once built it should be self supporting.

uk_exile 01-12-2011 02:07 PM

I might have a play in CAD to see what it would look like. Perhaps it gets would need to be a bit more cone like than squashed down cone / dome

lwood 01-12-2011 06:20 PM

Don't think that configuration will result in that much less cutting, especially towards the top of the dome.

uk_exile 01-12-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwood (Post 105877)
Don't think that configuration will result in that much less cutting, especially towards the top of the dome.

But think about the ease of just stacking the bricks flat. Some support would be needed until the mortar sets on upper layers.

Perhaps structural strength and not any smoothness of airflow or smooth surface for reflected heat is the primary reason for the more labour intensive dome design used for centuries.

uk_exile 01-12-2011 08:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Didn't work as well as I hoped. Too many gaps