Old 04-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Where can I find firebrick in the UK?

Hi all

I've been hitting this problem for a while, and I'm looking at doing a bulk buy from one of the big suppliers, and then selling on at cost plus a little to cover expenses to UK builders.

Any indication of interested parties would be appreciated !

Cheers

Peter
Old 04-09-2008, 02:33 PM
Apprentice

Sounds good - cheap, individual and recycling too!!

I've used B&Q for most of the easy to find stuff (if you open a trade account, you get free delivery).

Best value for vermiculite was travisperkins (~7.50 + VAT for 100L).
Old 04-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Peter,

That's an excellent idea. If you want to go ahead with that, let me know, and FB can help with getting the word out. We can make a permanent posting on the Forum, and embed contact info for you in the Pompeii section of FB.com.

Let me know if we can help.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Peasant

Peter,
Good idea, I am in Lincolnshire (not that far away) and would be most interested.
rafv

Never put off untill tomorrow what you can do today. If you enjoy it today, you can do it again tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Serf

Peter,

I am interested if you can get them in the next few weeks. I also some posts on here where they have used firebricks for the floor and engineering bricks for the dome. But its not clear how this design copes with thermal cycling - does it stand up to it. I would prefer firebricks for the entire dome, but at 2 a brick its a bit pricey.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Serf

Dear Peter

I'm a UK newbie looking to start building an oven, seems to be becoming more and more popular here now and to keep my wife, (the financial controller happy) I'm also looking for a supply of cost effective fire bricks. My local builder's merchant is quoting 2.30 + VAT/brick, = 2.70 each inclusive. Fairly similar to everybody else who's posted here. If you could source some bricks I would be interested, would obviously need to arrange delivery from Nottingham to Sussex, not sure if this would be economic.

Not sure if you've seen this ad on EBay; 1000 fire bricks for 500. (They may be open to offers, not sure they want a pallet of 1000 bricks sitting in their yard and currently bids =0). Fairly local to you also in Derbyshire.

(I'm not allowed to post links at present due to this being my first post, but the ad is listed under Building Materials & Supplies, Bricks, and is called BRICKS BRICK FURNACE FURNESS. I'm sure you will find it)

Regards

Fig
Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 AM

Link help

picture:

Welcome to Forno Bravo.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Serf

I also picked this up on ebay and spoke to the chap who is selling them this morning. He has quite a few people watching the sale. I am going to put in a bid, so if you are interested lets do this together rather than bid against each other. I also have a truck provisionally arranged to delivery them to my home in Salisbury.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_man_needs_a_project View Post
I also picked this up on ebay and spoke to the chap who is selling them this morning. He has quite a few people watching the sale. I am going to put in a bid, so if you are interested lets do this together rather than bid against each other. I also have a truck provisionally arranged to delivery them to my home in Salisbury.
I've had a look - and I know where they are - and its at a scrapyard in Belper.

To be honest, you can see how they have been restacked as a lot have green ends etc - it looks like for the past 10 years they have been outside, and will take a lot of drying out.

I'm speaking to a couple of suppliers again tomorrow, and should hopefully have prices

Cheers

Peter
Old 04-15-2008, 03:56 PM

Even good brickyards keep their bricks outside. Your curing fires will make short work of any lichens and internal moisture.

I'd only be concerned if they restacked them to conceal broken ends or bad chips.