Old 10-20-2011, 08:36 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: What is your Vent Landing length?

Holy Hannah, John!!! That video link you put up looked amazing. My wife watched it with me and she immediately asked "So when are we going to Atlanta?" It makes me want to build my oven even quicker. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Master Builder

My landing came about from the design of my vent arch. I used 8 inch vent and had a deeper landing than some - but compensated with the splayed opening - which allows me nice access to all parts of the oven .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Apprentice

Hey christo,

Thanks for the input. If by "splayed opening" you mean wider at the outside arch than it is at the inner arch that is what I am planning on doing as well so I hope that allows for the same nice access to all parts of the oven that you enjoy. What are the opening measurements of both of yours?

Nate
Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I hear ya Nate! I would love to go to Atlanta just to visit Antico Pizza. The toughest part is that my daughter will be swimming in the US Nationals at Georgia Tech the first week of December and it's the busy season at work. And did I mention that Antico pizza is within walking distance of GT?
Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Laborer

Location: Willamette [will-lam-it] Valley, Oregon [ore-y-gun]

I think generally speaking in your case, mine as well, because of the prevailing winds, north or northeast is ideal. In my case, due to convenience considerations, I will try get by with a northwest orientation.

Last edited by gmchm; 10-20-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Verrry nice and clean oven, David. I really like the broken mosaic decorative border.

What are the dimensions of your oven and door? I had originally designed my 1m oven to accommodate a 21.5"w door (11 3/4"h) but checkened out and reduced it to 20". I'm not sure there is data that supports wider than the FB standard 20", but I guess yours is working fine? Any wind issues?
John
My oven internal diam is 21"
Door 7"x 17"
No wind problems, but it is sheltered from any wind.
Dave
Old 10-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Apprentice

Oh John I am sorry to hear that. If nothing else have a family member buy one on the way to the airport and bring it home (TSA will probably confiscate it anyway).

Gmchm: thanks for the input. I thought north would be good too but like you that will not work bc of layout/design and convenience. I will just have to move ahead with my plan of having the oven open to the east.

Nate
Old 10-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompei Nate View Post
So since we are on the topic of wind, tell me what you think. The wind in my area generally comes from a South/Southeast direction. I was thinking about putting my oven facing straight east and now considering the conversation I hope that would be the correct direction for air flow. Anybody have any advice?

Nate
Because there is a hill and garage to the west of my oven and the house to the east I am not sure if there is a true direction to the wind. Sometimes the smoke from the chimney will come down around the oven, so is the wind blowing down?

Prevailing winds here are from the Northwest and my oven points Northeast. I get occasional puffs of smoke exiting the front but nothing major.

Chip
Old 10-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Apprentice

Next question: The oven plans say that a 42" oven can have up to a 20" interior arch opening. But is there anything specifying a opening size for the outer arch? For example, if I want to build a 42" oven and have a 20" inner arch, is going out to a 36" outer arch too much? And would an opening that big cause a problem with air flow or anything like that?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you have a wide oven mouth it allows better oven access and will radiate more heat out the door, if you also want to use it like a fireplace. The downside is that your oven will loose heat quicker and be more subject to "wind in the mouth". My own oven, being small had to have a relatively wide mouth. The internal width of the outer arch is 80% of the oven diam. A 36" mouth on a 42" oven would be 86%. I think you'll be fine. The extra heat coming out the door makes for pretty hot operation if you are standing in front of it for two hours (probably not good if you are running a pizzaria. On the other hand it's very nice to pull some chairs around and enjoy the fire. It is all horses for courses.

Last edited by david s; 10-24-2011 at 04:03 AM.