Old 07-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Weatherproof Stucco Dome that can be Moved Later??

Thx Wiley! Those pix help! I will play w/the hardware cloth. Thx for the clarification... I think I have a better understanding.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Laborer

I was at Home Depot today looking at hardware cloth. The 1/2" is 19 gauge. Is that heavy enough? I was told by Parex (stucco) tech support that a min of 17 gauge or 2.5 lbs/sq yard should be used.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Master Builder

WaWaZat,
We're in a bit of the grey area of unusual uses for stuff and so "You pays your money and you takes your chance". That being said I have seen a fair amount of stucco applied to the exterior of homes when I lived in California (seems like lifetimes ago, back when Santa Clara was known for prunes not silicon chips). I never mic'd the wire but it looked like standard chicken wire to me and I would bet that it never weighed 2.5 lbs per square yard. I never bothered to weigh a yard of 1/2 inch hardware cloth. That wouldn't be hard to compute. Weigh a new roll of the stuff and figure out the square footage (roll should be marked for length on the roll) that length times the width (both in feet) divide by 9 and that should give you a fairly close approximation of weight per yard.

Keep in mind I'm in favor of some sort of rebar armature to carry the load, give shape etc. etc. You might give a material called "berry wire" a look at it's galvanized and fairly heavy guage yet can be fairly easily bent by hand. I wouldn't say use it alone but in conjunction with either hardware cloth or even chicken wire might it might be worth considering.
Bests,
Wiley
Old 07-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Laborer

What did you have in mind for the berry wire... to construct an armature?

Another question I had in another post that I haven't been able to get answered... I need a lightweight chimney solution. What did you use? I'm considering galvanized vent pipe, for its light weight, painted with Rustoleum High Heat. Any idea how that might hold up to the heat & weather over time?