Old 03-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: The vent and oven draw

This whole vent/chimney and draw thing is quite new to me. It was to me also when I started my oven project
As you can see in the phote my vent area, like an inverted funnel,...inverted funnel is exactly the idea

in my second row (which is 6.5" wide) goes from 9.3"...although 6.5 from 9.3 is not perfect...how wide from front to back?...is there another row of brick in front of those that you used to support the flue?
at the bottom of the row to 6.5" at the top of the row. The support for my flue goes up another 2" and then I've added my flue liner which is 6.5" x 6.5"....the height should not be a problem
confused: If 2:1 ratio is suggested, what distance from the top to the bottom is recommended?...height is not usually an issue...what the ratio creates is the physics George mentioned...Bernoulli's law...you want to cause the gases to accelerate by constricting the space...which then creates lower pressure in the flue so that the smoke and gases are virtually sucked up the flue...same principle allows planes to fly...golf balls to hook and slice...sailboats to sail into the wind...
I guess not understanding all of this and flying by the seat of my pants, I'll try stuff and see what works. Any advice will be considered! Maybe the e-book should be expanded to help future(present) builders....having looked at your picture pretty closely my feeling is really concurring with George and I will say I believe your oven will draw well...in a perfect system you would want a nice tight reduction in flue size...get the first flue tile on and start curing if you have not done so already...you will soon see if you need to make any adjustments before you finish

Hope I helped and didn't make it worse!
All the best wishes!
Dutch
Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Journeyman

Dutch,
thanks for the help, I didn't know that the hook of my golf ball (I used to play a lot before I moved here) was because of a law of nature, I thought it was the quirk in my swing.
As soon as this weather system moves thru I'll start my fires. I see how it works, try it with the second flue system and maybe grind the bottom a little wider. I'm optomistic.

"It's time to go Vertical"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Master Builder

Be optimistic...be confident really...I really do believe your system will work well...these ovens obtain their own personalities...your swing caused the sidespin which in turn caused the hook
Dutch
Old 03-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Usually flipping your hands at the bottom of a swing causes a big hook. Try to tighten your wrist muscles ever so slightly as you swing through contact. Too much (not letting it go) will cause a slice.
G>

-
Old 03-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post
Usually flipping your hands at the bottom of a swing causes a big hook. Try to tighten your wrist muscles ever so slightly as you swing through contact. Too much (not letting it go) will cause a slice.
G>
Oh you mean my original baseball bat grip with the banana slice. It's just the driver that I'm never sure what is going to happen.

"It's time to go Vertical"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Flat face, least loft, least spin imparted on the ball. The driver is the hardest club in the bag to hit consistantly. Mine's all over the place too.

-
Old 03-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Fishing... !! Golf... !!

Do you guys do anything interesting besides building WFOs??!!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nope. I'm stuck in a rut!

-
Old 03-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Frances, he needs more kids....that will diversify his interest.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 03-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good one Acoma ! I think he's working on it though...