Old 10-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Using Splits in 42" Pompeii

Gary... I believe the bricks cnicholson got were splits from the factory, discounted for minor color defects. As others have commented, they would be perfect. Since they're splits, they will take a little longer to build up; but look at the bright side... each brick is only half the weight, so less to worry about with stiff elbows (that was a real problem for me after a while).

If you're near there and looking to build an oven, I'd say jump at the chance. Hell, I've already built my oven and was still doing mental calculations for half a second about what it that kind of deal on bricks would mean!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Peasant

John and Jamie, thanks for the reply, its much appreciated.

Gary
Old 10-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Go with the splits.

For the hearth, use them flat with as many layers as you think you will want for thermal mass. Three layers will give you 3 inches which would be typical for an oven this size. I suggest you do not mortar these hearth layers together.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Laborer

Hi Gary,

To answer your question, albeit a few days later, the splits are 1/2 the thickness of a standard brick so 1 1/4" thick vs. 2 1/2". You still need to cut them in half lengthwise for the dome. The dome pic Gianni posted earlier should give you an idea of how they should lay up... While I was there they actually wheeled over a half pallet of full size bricks (also .25 ea), unfortunately they had drying cracks in them...didn't really want to take a chance on those. The yard is actually HUGE (and it's ALL overstock/discontinued/seconds) so you are looking for any other brick type products its a fantastic resource.

I haven't started yet but I think I am only going to use 2 layers in the floor as with the bricks I have it would give me a total thickness of 2 1/2" which seems to be the consensus of the perfect floor thermal mass. I'm torn on mortaring them together...I'll give a post if I get some earth shattering news with regard to that...

Also, after cutting several red clay bricks for my patio recently I think the posts related to the workability of the splits vs. full size have quite a bit of merit. I'm using an MK 101 saw (the contractor version, not Lowe's) and it took about 30 sec to cut each brick in half and it would seem to bog down toward the end of the cut. My theory is that the water/clay filling the length of the cut put stress on the motor but I think the entire process of cutting, laying, modifying etc with the splits will be much easier.

To translate, I think it MAY take a little bit more time to lay it up but I think to get a good looking dome with splits will take less time figuring, templating, etc than the full size so it may be a wash on time...and that's all you really care about when you keep dreaming of wood fired pizzas... it doesn't hurt that the bricks were 1/5 the cost of retail.

Good luck and I'll get some pics up of my build when I REALLY get started.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
You still need to cut them in half lengthwise for the dome.
I think you mean cut them in half crosswise, leaving an inward exposed face of 4.5".

Quote:
I'm using an MK 101 saw (the contractor version, not Lowe's) and it took about 30 sec to cut each brick in half and it would seem to bog down toward the end of the cut
When my HF blade guard pivot pin snapped I borrowed the same MK101 contractor wet saw from my brother. I have never had a hiccup with this saw cutting full-size bricks, much less bogging down or placing stress on the motor. I think its your blade. If have several new MK blades (continuous rim) sitting in the garage I'd be willing to let go of for $50ea if you're interested.

John
Old 10-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Laborer

Good catch Gianni...cutting lengthwise would make one funky looking mess... Yeah...ya know...I bought the saw off of craigslist for $200 and it was apparently WELL used...I think I may try changing the brushes on the motor and see where that gets me...otherwise I'll just power through the project and then put it back on craigslist with the disclaimer and see what happens...I put a new MK Hot Dog blade on it and it got better...but not perfect...

Last edited by cnicholson; 10-24-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 07-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Laborer

Alrighty everyone...thanks you for the replies as it keeps the dream alive! Now that I have some help, I'm back at it! I want to keep a log of my build and I figure the best way to do it (as it forces me to) is to do it here. And the fact that I can draw on hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of hours of experience doesn't hurt. Hopefully I can help someone along with their build as well in my journey, as it has been done so many times for me in reading this forum. I'm not sure if it's possible to move this thread to a more appropriate forum, keep it here or just start a new thread? Thanks again for all the help fellow pompeiians..
Old 07-21-2012, 03:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great to see you're back and ready to go.

Why not start a fresh build thread under Pompeii oven?