Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   URGENT oven dimensions (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/urgent-oven-dimensions-3537.html)

thepumphouse 03-15-2008 09:58 AM

URGENT oven dimensions

Building a low dome residential brick oven which cannot be any larger than a 33.5" interior diameter. What is the best interior height and what would be the opening size. Should I just pro-rate from the Forno Bravo chart? I plan to arch the opening. Is the height therefore to the highest point, or is this about square inches of free opening?

gjbingham 03-15-2008 10:37 AM

Re: URGENT oven dimensions

"Best height" could be argued infinitum. Depending on whether your doing a low dome neopolitan style or a more symetrical Nothern Italian style. Depending on your answer, yes, you should be able to reduce the height propotionately from the standard plan for a 36 inch oven.

I didn't use an arch on my oven, but my best guess is the height of the top of the arch of your oven opening is the number used as your goal vs. the free opening height on the sides. If the opening is too high at the top of the arch, you will loose heat faster and have a less efficient oven.

Dutchoven 03-15-2008 12:23 PM

Pumphouse
I might suggest shooting for a 34 in diameter for the oven...maybe a 14 to 15 inch interior dome height...finished door height of 9 to 9.5 inches...that should be about one firebrick stood on end if you wanted to opt for a rectangular opening...arched opening wouldn't be too difficult...
Hope this helps!
Dutch

james 03-15-2008 12:25 PM

You can also check out the dimensions of the Casa series here. It's called Volta Bassa in the Italian market, which means low dome -- what you are building.

Home and Garden Pizza Ovens | Residential Pizza Oven

James

Dutchoven 03-15-2008 12:35 PM

James beat me to it...I was just about to suggest casa series ovens
Dutch

thepumphouse 03-15-2008 05:29 PM

We will pro-rate as suggested.* Wish us luck! Actually, we accidentally used Type I regular portland for setting the hearth fire brick onto the iso board (used 1/2" setting bed)...will this be okay? Using fireplace mortar for the dome.

Acoma 03-15-2008 05:35 PM

What is the heat factor of the Portland? How much Iso in thickness, 2,3,4?

thepumphouse 03-15-2008 05:47 PM

1" iso board and the portland is the standard portland used for concrete block work.

Acoma 03-15-2008 05:51 PM

hmmm.....is it too late to go 1-2 more inches with ISO? Would be smart. Trying to look up heat factors on portlant alone

Acoma 03-15-2008 05:55 PM

You are likely going to have issues with the hearth, floor bricks adhearing to the ISO. We are talking about bricks getting to 700 degrees, something portland cement is not meant for. don't worry about whether the bricks will fail. The goal is for saturated bricks with heat that is not lost. That is also where you want to go the extra mile with insulated floor. Going 1" is threading it, and you will likely loose heat on the floor much more that you wish. If you can, remove the bricks, add 1-2 inches of the ISO. You can just float the bricks on it if you wish.