Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Update on my floor which exploded from steam re wet insulation

"The rapid heat lose and fact that the hearth is only getting to 750F would be my bigger concerns"

When an oven is at equilibrium and fully charged, there should never be a 200 deg difference btw the dome and the hearth. The fact that is the case shows how the concrete slab is sucking the heat out. You said it shuboyje.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Journeyman

I agree it is leaking heat out the floor. No doubt about it, but without insulation that is a no brainer.

As for the temperature difference are we talking about the same thing? You have mentioned an oven in equilibrium twice. I am talking about an oven actively cooking Neapolitan pizza in under a minute. If my dome was the same temperature as my hearth while I was trying to cook pizza I would be VERY disappointed and would not cook the pizza, I would wait for the oven to come into proper balance for pizza cooking with the dome hotter then the hearth. I know things are a little different in a higher domed hemispherical oven, but that would only increase the need for a greater temperature on top.

I'll one up for WJW, here is a very short video of my oven with the type of flame used for cooking very fast baked pizza and the 40 second pie it produces:

Convection in a wood fired pizza oven - YouTube

Aren't pizza ovens fun!?
Attached Thumbnails
Update on my floor which exploded from steam re wet insulation-img_0164.jpg  
WJW likes this.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Master Builder

We vehemently agree. Nice pizza, looks like you are at 1000deg F. Little too hot for me....of course I am old and slow.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Peasant

it seems I stepped in the middle of a master oven guru debate??? For what I Need this oven for--it seems to be working just fine--not optimal, but the pizzas were delicious and I am not into bread baking. Heat retention is not great the next morning, but I am not concerned about that for my intended use and the oven may still be drying out.

There is no way I am rebuilding the dome at this point.....
lwood likes this.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Journeyman

Killer video shuboyje! Do you actually cook under that much flame? If so...wow. I haven't even attempted to cook under that much.

njoven...I am so far from a master oven builder it's not even funny. In fact, as far as building goes, I have built a total of ONE. And that thing is full of mistakes. I have cooked in it a lot in the past three months or so....but nothing like what others around here have done.

Bill
Old 08-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The most important aspect of any oven (or any other home improvement project) is that it performs to your expectations and needs. It sounds like you are well sorted, enjoy it! I still want you to send that mason over to talk amongst other masons about his wrong convictions regarding oven building.