Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Update on my floor which exploded from steam re wet insulation

Yes, if you can, replace the insulation under the floor. If space is a problem you probably don't need the 2" of fireclay under the bricks.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You should use it and see if it will perform to your expectations. If it does, all is well. If not, then the normal buildup would be: Concrete slab, insulation, just enough sand/fireclay to level the floor and the oven floor itself.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Peasant

Thanks. Will keep the thread updated.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

"and offer practical solutions to help "

Get some insulation under the floor.

This is a no brainer.

So far this site is a forum for passing along good design advise.

Last edited by Neil2; 08-09-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Serf

Default Builder left out floor insulation - now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
"and offer practical solutions to help "

Get some insulation under the floor.

This is a no brainer.

So far this site is a form for passing along good design advise.
Newbie post here. It's a doozy, but I look forward to your advice (and am fully expecting my lashes).

I went on vacation with my builder building the pizza oven (a modular Zio Ciro 90cm 4 piece round oven kit - http://www.zio-ciro.com/UserFiles/Fi...vesuvio_en.pdf). That was a bad mistake. I had given him both the Rado Hand CD and a pizza oven design book as reference.

In any case, the end result is a built pizza oven with (a) ~6 inches of refractory cement/vermiculite insulation and a ceramic insulating blanket over the *DOME* and (b) the dome and 4 piece oven hearth lying directly on a ~10inch concrete slab. From what I have read, that means that the oven (in its current state) is going to be a beast to fire since the concrete slab will act as a heat sink.

Any ideas how to retrofit floor insulation? I am assuming (though I have not yet tried) that the floor elements can be removed, since they are lying directly on the concrete). If the floor elements can be removed, is it possible to use some kind of tight-space saw or grinder to slice out chunks of concrete slab under the floor to make enough space under the floor units to insert either chunks of insulating board or refractory cement with vermiculite before putting the floor elements back in? Alternatively, I wonder how tight the oven airflow engineering specs are - could I remove the floor elements, install 2 inches of insulation then replace the (trimmed) floor elements? The door height is 29cm and the peak height of the dome looks to be approximately 43cm from the floor level. If I cut those dimensions by 5cm to allow for the 2 inches of floor insulation, will that trash the oven airflow dynamics?

I realize this is a class A disaster and I have to admit frankly that I was not specific enough with the builder about the floor insulation. I am now just trying to figure out the best way to salvage the situation.

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions. This forum is an awesome resource. Just wish I had checked a little earlier :-(
Old 08-08-2012, 01:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Indie bands,
By my calculations your door height to dome height is 68% so if you raised the floor by 3" then you would end up with a ratio of 60% which will work quite ok. I think trying to dig out 3" of the concrete slab would be way too hard and it may weaken the slab enough to risk collapse. You will still have the problem of the dome sitting, uninsulated on the supporting slab, but that shouldn't matter as much as getting the floor insulated. Just getting the four floor tiles out will be a trial I imagine.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:30 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Indie bands,
By my calculations your door height to dome height is 68% so if you raised the floor by 3" then you would end up with a ratio of 60% which will work quite ok. I think trying to dig out 3" of the concrete slab would be way too hard and it may weaken the slab enough to risk collapse. You will still have the problem of the dome sitting, uninsulated on the supporting slab, but that shouldn't matter as much as getting the floor insulated. Just getting the four floor tiles out will be a trial I imagine.
Thanks, David. I know that the dome itself would still be uninsulated, but figured that at least by surface area, insulating under the floor would help (better than nothing). According to the schematics the floor pieces should be 1 cm narrower than the door, though I too am worried about getting out the floor tiles. It looks like concrete saws are probably too big to fit in the confines of the oven dome...

What about cutting in from the sides, putting in supports, inserting an insulating board (1/2 at a time) and then reinforcing the outside structure. Sounds a bit like science fiction.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:47 AM
Serf

Quote:
Good luck.
Thanks. I'll need it.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:44 AM
Serf

Quote:
Indie bands,
Another thought - is there a minimum floor tile thickness in order to retain the heat and cook? The supplied floor tiles are 6cm thick. If I could replace them with a thinner floor material, then the insulation would take up less of the oven height. Finally, is there a minimum usable door height?

Thanks again to all.