Old 01-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Under construction

I believe in the Forno Bravo store your have to add the plans to your cart and 'checkout' as if making an actual purchase, even though the plans are free. You are then either directed to a link or are emailed a link (can't remember which) where you actually download the plans.

Firebrick as the insulation layer? NOT a good idea unless you are using INSULATING firebricks (the lightweight, white ones) and are standing the brick on edge so that you have 4" of depth. Insulating firebrick have roughly the same insulating value as perlcrete or vermicrete - so 4" is recommended. Using standard firebrick (regardless of duty rating) will only add more mass...not insulation.

RT
Old 01-21-2010, 05:06 PM
Serf

Thanks for the reply, I am teetering on this insulating slab,i just don't know if the vermiculite cement layer is strong enough to hold the rest of the build, I am concidering the FB board, I am building a barrel dome, I can see that this website leans toward Igloo designs which are very nice, I will bake more than just pizza and want the radient heat for more hours than some designs will produce. Someone said to back 50 loves of bread you will need 50 igloo ovens.hehehe, that was kinda scary to me.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am also building a barrel vault, 24x36. I would keep trying to download the plans though, as the information pertains to both. Most important is the ratio of inner arch height to dome height, but the general construction guidelines will help as well.

I just finished the base and began work on the oven itself. My thread is under my name in the oven pictures forum.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you do the weight calculations, you will see that you only need a compressive strength of 6-8 PSI. The perlcrete is easily that, probably 30-50 PSI.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Serf

Great!! I am working on a 34x40, I like baking pizza but also make lots of artisian breads so radient heat for hours after pizza IS impotant. Thanks for your reply, please keep in touch.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Journeyman

Is there a reason why you want to use firebrick as your hearth insulation? Vermiculite/concrete is cheap, easy, efficient and proven.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Journeyman

FWIW, I've seen/cooked in a barrel vault (with vermicrete hearth insulation, again FWIW) and it made every bit as good a pizza as my igloo. I have not baked bread in the barrel vault but I can attest to the fact that my igloo style works great for that, so I don't think you can go wrong either way. What matters more than the shape and as much as the overall mass, is INSULATION.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:31 AM
Serf

No reason to use them, just concidering options, after all mass is what stores heat for prolong cooking AFTER pizza, and yes the mass will take a bit longer to heat up but the time it creates for baking without fire seems to make sense. Several successful bakeries can't be wrong with generated radient heat for hours and hours. Hot air does rise,so the idea is not only keeping the heat in the floor and how much will REALLY be lost going out the bottom? Splatgirl, these are just ideas, this is my first oven, but I will NOT use fire brick as an insulator, I just want it right the first time. I make KILLER pizza on my stone in my oven at home +/- 500`,the only thing is not having wood fire taste, the wife is from Brooklyn and say's it's the best she's had in 30 years of being in Fl., I said your just saying that , she said NO REALLY.hehehe, silly wife loves GOOD pizza, so do I.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:50 AM

While you figure out how to get the plans from the Forno Bravo store, (it's really not hard), you might want to read the "sticky" postings at the top of the forum categories. They contain a lot of good information, including why round ovens are superior to rectangular ones for pizza use.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/w...s-round-2.html (Why Italian Wood-Fired Ovens are Round)
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/p...-oven-493.html (Pizza in a Bread Oven)

If you're planning to fire every day, and bake commercial quantities of bread, then the barrel vault may be a better choice, but for most home builders a round oven is the way to go.

Quote:
how much will REALLY be lost going out the bottom?
You MUST insulate under your oven floor. You'll never get up to temperature, and keep it there without floor insulation. Two inches of refractory insulation board equal four inches of vermiculite concrete. Either will work well.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:56 AM
Serf

Thanks, I DO plan to insulate the floor under the fire bricks, just haven't decided which way to go.