Old 05-29-2009, 05:28 AM

Default Re: UK 34" rounded square Oven Progress.

I'm watching this come together with interest. You have designed the anti-catenary arch and have at least six running seams from the top of the dome to the bottom. I think the success of the whole enterprise depends upon how you build your entry arch, and tie it into the dome, as it will bear a greater than usual proportion of the weight of the dome.

So, let's see... Strange geometry, unknown mortar... I really wish you the best, but i'm sceptical at this point.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Peasant

It does appear that I do enjoy a challenge!

I am still thinking about the stability of the arch, for now, it seems very strong, but that could change, but Idon't think by much. I think that the weak spot will be the middle of the arch on either side, it is impossible for the key stone to fall, unless the arches either side fail some how. So, I am toying with the idea of a rebar and concrete belt over the top about 3" by 3", or maybe a pillar behind each side, but for now, the thing is solid enough.

Today, hopefully the enterance will get designed!
Old 05-29-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
but for now, the thing is solid enough.
I'm glad to hear this. The bracing ring you should be thinking about is around the bottom, not around the top. All the forces trying to bring down your dome have to work outward, before there's any downward movement. I would urge you to consider a "C" shaped ring around your dome, tied to your support slab. Did you look at the page I linked? Look at the illustration under example one of "STABILITY PRINCIPLE". It almost exactly describes your dome shape, and if I were you, I'd try to buttress those outward forces.

Remember that a dome that heats and cools is changing shape and size with every cycle. It's not a fixed shape, it's a dynamic system.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Peasant

Thankyou dmun, for all your input! I really appricciate it!

I checked out the link, interesting stuff! I think I mentioned in a previous thread about a concrete sleeper at either end of the arch, the suggestion of bracing at the bottom of the arch in a C shape was kinda what I meant. but I was just going to brace the centre arch at either end, also the rear arch. The reason that I was only going to do it at the bottom of the centre arch was that I figured, if that is solid, the 4 quarters will just lean in on them, also, I was a bit concerned about heat bleeding out through the support, if only a little!

I have added a couple of blue blobs on a picture to help show what I mean.

The bracing at either end, will have a couple of spreader bolts down into the slab, to act as ties.

what do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
UK 34" rounded square Oven Progress.-side-profile.jpg  
Old 06-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Peasant

A few photos of the progress over the weekend.

Centre and rear arch up, very strong!!!
started to fill in the quarters(phew lots of cutting an fine tuning cutting!)
The enterance is taking shape and I know where I am going with it, and feel confident it will work.

A couple of issue's I am thinking about are, The size of the flue(maybe 8" diameter) and the insulation over the dome, originally I was going to form a house around it and just pour in vermiculite, but I (and importantly the missus) are really starting to enjoy and appriciate the dome shape and want it on veiw, so now, can I just use vermiculite cement(like with the base and a render over the top to water proof it? I really don't want to use blanket insulation or make it to large?

Thoughts?

cheers
Lee.
Attached Thumbnails
UK 34" rounded square Oven Progress.-wfo-1.jpg   UK 34" rounded square Oven Progress.-wfo-2.jpg   UK 34" rounded square Oven Progress.-wfo-3.jpg  
Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Peasant

Had a couple of productive days, but this still seems to be going on forever!

The dome is about 70% finished, the back half as good as done! Just a corner key stone to go! I am quite pleased with the finish too!

I also did the firebrick part of the front arch enterance that ties in to the dome. At the moment it is strong enough to support itself, but it will also have to support the dome and chimney, so I am going to resin a rebar into the concrete slab, vertically either side of the arch, then fix a piece of angle iron between the two, this will stop any outward force and help support the chimney.

I need to decide on the dome finish, I am worried a little about using Vermiculaite concrete, as I just can't see that it will support itself whilst going off. I think I will need to experiment with this a little.
Attached Thumbnails
UK 34" rounded square Oven Progress.-wfo-arch-1.jpg   UK 34" rounded square Oven Progress.-wfo-arch-2.jpg   UK 34" rounded square Oven Progress.-wfo-arch-3.jpg   UK 34" rounded square Oven Progress.-wfo-arch-4.jpg  
Old 06-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Peasant

The dome and enterance is finished!!! Yippee!!!!

I am really pleased with it! It is really tough and solid! I have also finished the firebrick side of the chimney/entrance area, and hope to get some red clay bricks to clad and build the chimney, then on top I plan on a 5 foot stainless steel 6" dual lined chimney(which will be removable when not in use).

This project seems to have been going on forever, but now there is definetely light at the end f the tunnel!

I will post some pictures as soon as I can!

HB
Old 06-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Peasant

a few photos, sorry all, this thing stands up proper solid!
Attached Thumbnails
UK 34" rounded square Oven Progress.-garden-049.jpg   UK 34" rounded square Oven Progress.-garden-050.jpg   UK 34" rounded square Oven Progress.-garden-040.jpg  
Old 06-20-2009, 05:19 PM

I must say, that despite my initial skepticism, that's a good looking dome. I'm still concerned about the full radial running seams up and down the dome, but it really looks good. Are you planning to fill the gaps on the outside?

Congratulations.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:13 AM
Peasant

Thankyou dmun,

I think if I had been working to the limits of the materials, then my design may not have worked, but the screed(as the morter is called) really worked well, and bonded the bricks together to make them very solid.

Yes, the gaps have already been filled, I was running low of screed, so added the dust and crushed up scrapes of fire brick(I'm glad they had some use). I still have 2 small bags left over aswell.

Next up is the insulation, hope to use 25mm ceramic blanket, and I guess I will need to use the dreaded vermiculite concrete ontop of that!

Can't wait to put a fire in it, but I am just about holding myself back!!!