Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Too Small? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/too-small-19297.html)

Just BS 05-01-2013 10:54 AM

Too Small?
 
I poured my foundation yesterday. It's 12' X 40". The size was based on exsisting land marks, esthetics and the need to keep the drive way open to get a trailer past it.

I am (was?) planning on making the the base stand 48" X 40" and canter-leavering the hearth an additional 8" over the front to give me a 4' square building area. Now I am having concerns that:
- It is too small of an area for a 36" WFO (or at least adding a vent arch and landing area.
- The strength of the canter-leaver portion if the hearth.

Am I over thinking this, or are my concerns legit? I can easily make my base wider. I can also add to my foundation another 12" or so, but that poses many additional challenges. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Les 05-01-2013 12:30 PM

Re: Too Small?
 
BS,

A 36 inch oven will require more than the 40 you have - a standard build is:

36 in. interior
9 in. for the brick (assuming 1 brick cut in half)
4 in. for insulation (2 in. of blanket - I would think this is minimum for insulation)
1 in. for stucco.

The above is for a dome - an enclosure would require even more space.

The canter-leaver is not a problem if constructed properly.

Just BS 05-01-2013 12:45 PM

Re: Too Small?
 
Thank you Les.

I am planning on a enclosing the oven utilzing a 48" square base. Therefore I know that the insulation around the base will be "thin", as I plan on using 4" X 4" X 16" cinder blocks around it. I figured that as long as the hearth floor is well insulated, as well as the top of the oven, I should be alright. However, it doesn't leave me much room for the arched vented opening and landing.

How far off am I in my thought process? Is it even doable? If not, what have I not accounted for?

Just BS 05-01-2013 12:48 PM

Re: Too Small?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Les (Post 151567)
The canter-leaver is not a problem if constructed properly.

Is tied in rebarb enough? I'll probably add some wire mesh just to be on the safe side... :D

Les 05-01-2013 12:59 PM

Re: Too Small?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Just BS (Post 151568)
Thank you Les.

I am planning on a enclosing the oven utilzing a 48" square base. Therefore I know that the insulation around the base will be "thin", as I plan on using 4" X 4" X 16" cinder blocks around it. I figured that as long as the hearth floor is well insulated, as well as the top of the oven, I should be alright. However, it doesn't leave me much room for the arched vented opening and landing.

How far off am I in my thought process? Is it even doable? If not, what have I not accounted for?

Can you post a drawing of what you have in mind?

Les 05-01-2013 01:01 PM

Re: Too Small?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Just BS (Post 151569)
Is tied in rebarb enough? I'll probably add some wire mesh just to be on the safe side... :D

Rebar is fine. Just make sure is goes into the hearth slab a ways and preferably has a bend so there is no chance of it pulling out

Just BS 05-01-2013 04:22 PM

Re: Too Small?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Les (Post 151570)
Can you post a drawing of what you have in mind?

I'm unable to upload pics from my smartphone. Not sure if its a newbee thing, or a phone thing.

brickie in oz 05-01-2013 11:31 PM

Re: Too Small?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Just BS (Post 151578)
Not sure if its a newbee thing, or a phone thing.

The pics are too large and need reducing in size. :)

Just BS 05-09-2013 11:37 AM

Re: Too Small?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here is what I started with. It's a 40" X 12' slab, as I am also going to build an off set verticle smoker.

Just BS 05-09-2013 11:40 AM

Re: Too Small?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Once I laid out the first coarse, I realized that there is NO WAY I can do what I want, so I am going to dig another set of footings where the oven stand will be.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC