Old 05-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Time question

Great suggestions by all and I want to add:

SAW: have your wet saw & extra blade ready. Have an umbrella over it and your oven for shade if possible. Have a big 5 gal. water bucket on a table next to it for the small pump (don't use the shallow tray). The closer the saw to the oven, the better (quicker).

CUTS: Don't go crazy on supper tight joints. The home-brew mortar is your friend. As long as it's fairly tight inside, the bigger joints on the outside hasn't hurt anyone's oven.

BASIC MEASUREMENTS: Have your oven opening dimensions and oven footprint finalized and stick to it.

BROWSE THE FORUM: All the ovens on this forum are very similar and you'll notice how much we all have in common and where FB members did something new, fun, different, smart or interesting and be prepared to implement it or stick to whats "tried & true".

And I agree with LeeB: A Pompeii oven to a seasoned brick layer may still be a very odd thing to your cousin. Make sure you are both up on the need to use true firebrick and use the regular high heat mortar (home-brew) recipe on this site.

Also, I've had family / friends that just could not understand the concept of the oven flu/vent in front of the oven opening. So make sure you are both on the "same page" with how a Pompeii oven is built and how it works.

You're going to have a great time building it and using. So, please don't hesitate to ask ANY question about your build or your planing of it.

Good luck, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 01:35 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Time question

"Also, I've had family / friends that just could not understand the concept of the oven flu/vent in front of the oven opening. So make sure you are both on the "same page" with how a Pompeii oven is built and how it works."

I didn't understand this until I started to lay-out the oven. It's counter-intuitive to what we all know about fire-places. This is not a fireplace. The door goes btw the flue and the interior of the dome. So in essence the oven is completely shut-off from the out-side world, including the flue/vent. No flue gases are exchanged when the door is in-place.

Great tips Dino and this one seems to be an aha for most people.