Old 07-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Thermocouple Queries

Ron,

These are the same thing I used, though I didn't get them from this source. As I said, they were 24 gauge, glass wrapped, K type. I've had zero problems with them: they're holding up just fine and reading consistently. Just be sure you get them long enough for your situation. The wires are quite thin, and they cut easily with diagonal cutters. Be steady and sure when you strip the covering to plug into your readout. Also, read the instructions. I didn't at first, only to find out later that red is negative and green positive, but this was only with the meter I used.

Jim
Old 07-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Journeyman

Jim

Thanks for the advice! I just wanted to get the right ones ordered so that I'd know how big to make the holes in the hearth slab. Any particular reason you went with 24 gauge?

Ron
Old 07-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Thermocouple Queries

Hi crew,
I mentioned some information on my thermocouples on:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/n...-a-2119-2.html (Neill's Pompeii #10)

(permalink #19) and as yet have not done any more about it. Guesss it is not overly important as I also have and use an infra red thermometer for instant temp measurements within the oven.
I wasn't overly fussed with putting numerous temp measuring points within the hearth and dome as once you get used to your oven and 'experienced', knowing the actual temp is not as important.
I purchased through ebay, a 10 station thermocouple switch from the UK and temporarily coupled it up to my readout unit. I pulled the switch to pieces to check it out, determine where the individual wires went to (as the loom was simply chopped off around 400mm from the switch), and cleaned the contacts. They were not corroded or marked, merely a little dirty with what looked like a lubricant.
I purchased 6 metres of new K type wire with fibreglass covering, welded the ends and pushed them down the copper tubes hopefully to their ends in the hearth and dome bricks.
I have 2 in the hearth, one dead centre and 10mm from the cooking surface with the other to the right around 200mm in from the edge. This one measures the bottom or soak of the cooking bricks.
The dome has one deep within the top centre 'key' brick and another just on the outside between the superwool thermal blanket and firebricks to guage the soak of the dome.
The ends were joined temporarily in an electrical junction stick? and the 2 wires from the output sent to the readout. The problem is that I can't get the same or anywhere near the same measurement as the infra red device. Guess I will pull out the wires and feed some heavier guage steel wire through the tubes to their end, mark off their length and check that the thermocouple wire is completely home when re-inserted. I will also put a little 'instrument oil' on the contacts of the meter to aid in transfer of the fine voltage that is generated from the wires at their joint.
I am not planning on using the oven until 12th August, so I still have plenty of time to get that done.
The pic shows the switch which will be mounted behind the dacia and to the rh side of the vent with the read out on the face bricks. This will be done once i get the new pergola done and waterproof the area.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Thermocouple Queries-fire-thermo-switch-web.jpg  
Old 07-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Journeyman

My main concern with temperature is for cooking bread. I'm not "too" worried about it for pizza since I should be able to keep an eye on it during cooking as well as get a temperature estimate with standard hand held devices if need be. Plus I'm a big nerd and would like to study the thermodynamics of my oven...lol. Below is a picture of my temperature monitor in its future resting place. I'll have to make a form for it to fit properly in the hole, as well as buy a weather proof cover for the front. It has 12 inputs but I'll likely only use 5 since thats how many come in a pack, and I doubt I'd need more than that anyway. Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Thermocouple Queries-thermo1.jpg   Thermocouple Queries-thermo2.jpg  
Old 07-31-2007, 06:18 PM
Journeyman

I bought these;
Omega part number:
KMQSS-125U-6. 1/8 Stainless sheath 6" K-type with miniature connectors
TECK10-9 3 each 10ft extensions.

The extension wires were cheaper than a spool and connectors seperately.

I work with TC's every day, so I knew I wanted stainless for longevity. The ones you pictured are ceramic sheaths that you feed the wire/bead into. That will leave the bead exposed which will corrode over time exposed to atmosphere. So it may fail in 2-3 yrs. If that is not a problem with you then go ahead with that one. Make sure you get the K-type TC and wire.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:59 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlively View Post
I bought these;
Omega part number:
KMQSS-125U-6. 1/8 Stainless sheath 6" K-type with miniature connectors
TECK10-9 3 each 10ft extensions.

The extension wires were cheaper than a spool and connectors seperately.

I work with TC's every day, so I knew I wanted stainless for longevity. The ones you pictured are ceramic sheaths that you feed the wire/bead into. That will leave the bead exposed which will corrode over time exposed to atmosphere. So it may fail in 2-3 yrs. If that is not a problem with you then go ahead with that one. Make sure you get the K-type TC and wire.
Wade:

Did you embed them into your dome as well as your hearth? If so, does the end of the RTD stick out of the dome, or is it embedded under your insulation?

RF
Old 08-01-2007, 09:39 AM
Journeyman

RF

One in top of dome, one about half way up the dome and one in the floor. The two dome ones are approx center of each brick. I built mine with dome on top of the floor, so the side of the floor was exposed. So, I drilled a 9 inch long hole sideways into the floor for the floor TC. I forgot to mention that I got a 12" for the floor one. Once the dome brickwork was done I drilled and placed the TC's, then used a small amount of Heatstop to try and seal the hole around them. I then covered my dome with about 2" of perlcrete. Then layered the blankets, punching a small hole where appropriate for the connector of the tc to fit thru. So you can see the tc's extending out past the blanket. Then I was just going to put a square of foil around the tc to reflect any penetrating heat, but decided to lay an entire layer over the dome, just loosly placed. Then cover my dome with loose perlite (harborlight). If you look closely at my oven posting you can see the tc's sticking up. I did not see any reason for a hearth TC.

I also bought Omega's infrared gun and will be plotting core vs face temps on my next firing.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Serf

Wow thanx all. Thought it would be cool, digital read out & all. Sounds like it will cut into beer drinking, pizza eating time. Thats whats important right! Free Advise is Worth Every Penny (Mark Decker Circa ?) Ha Ha Ha