Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (
-   Getting Started (
-   -   Thermocouple (

mfiore 06-10-2009 01:15 PM

I know this comes up periodically, but equipment changes, as do ideas. So I thought I'd return to this topic.

During my dome build, I embedded 3 thermocouples at various places (floor, dome, etc). Now that I'm enclosing the dome (walled enclosure), I am not sure what do do with the three wires. I have a IR gun that I can plug them into individually, but wouldn't mind a more permanent mount. Can anyone recommend a TC reader that I can mount in the enclosure wall that could read the three probes (perhaps a switch between them?) that won't cost a fortune. I know, a lot to ask, but I'm curious what others are doing. I'm not sure I want to have three wires poking out of the wall, and continuously plugging in the IR gun to make a reading.


mfiore 06-16-2009 11:00 AM

Re: Thermocouple
I posted this at a time of low usage. Thought I'd try again. Any suggestions?

dmun 06-16-2009 01:57 PM

Re: Thermocouple
This is unrelated to the current question, but a promising, affordable, insulation board, Foamglas, has come up in another thread.
It's rated for 900 degrees fahrenheit, which is quite a bit less than the boards we use now.
My question for the thermocouple mavens is this: how hot is the bottom of the firebricks on the oven floor likely to get at full pizza heat?

nitro69 06-17-2009 05:41 AM

Re: Thermocouple

Take a look at Auber Instruments -, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

Lars 06-17-2009 02:49 PM

Re: Thermocouple
Hi MFiori,
I was thinking about putting in thermocouples, but I really don't know exactly what I need to do put them in.

One thing I read that just leaving a straw would allow you to insert something later..

What exactly are you calling a thermocouple? Is it just a thermally conductive wire ( like copper?) embedded in there, or something more expensive?

I would be very interested in the temperatures at various depths of the insulation, thermal mass, etc.


mfiore 06-18-2009 08:51 AM

Re: Thermocouple
Lars, I'm certain someone with more a more sophisticated knowledge of engineering will pipe in, but in general, the thermocouples are a probe with two different metals are used. They generate different low voltages in response to temperatures. The voltage differential then relates to a specific temperature.

They are available from many online sources. I got mine from Omega Engineering. Looks something like this

You can stick the end anywhere you want to monitor temps. Many builders stick one in the floor hearth, one in the dome, etc. These, however, are just probes. They are of no value without a reader to display temps as a meaningful number. The reader is what I am looking for.

If I were to rebuild my oven, I'm not sure I would use a thermocouple. The cost is not insignificant. I have a feeling it is something that I will use initially to learn more about my oven's behavior, then forget about over the years.

blacknoir 06-18-2009 08:58 AM

Re: Thermocouple
or try this: Thermok: 4 Channel Thermocouple Display - APRS World, LLC

mfiore 06-18-2009 09:04 AM

Re: Thermocouple
Thanks, Shay

Apparently that model has been discontinued.

A big problem I am having is that I do not have electricity at my WFO site. The reader needs to be battery powered.

Lars 06-18-2009 09:46 AM

Re: Thermocouple
No electricity? Sounds like me. How did you build? ( generator?)


mfiore 06-18-2009 09:49 AM

Re: Thermocouple
Sorry, I should clarify before I make myself sound too heroic.

I do have electricity near the oven, and used many power tools in it's making. I don't, however, have a power source imbedded in the oven enclosure (some ovens have electric lights, etc) that I could use to plug in a permanently mounted thermocouple reader.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC