Old 07-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Laborer

Default Re: SuperIsol Installation for 42" Pompeii

I concur about the saw. I bought one last summer and it's great. I was a bit unsure at first because it's made in China but haven't had any trouble with it. The stand is pretty cool but I saved the money and bought a couple of ready-made plastic saw-horses and used some left over 3'4" plywood for a table. Good luck with your project.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
<snip> I do indeed plan an igloo style with stucco. I'll probably trim the SuperIsol as you suggest, but leave 1 or 2 cm extra sticking out from under the dome. I'm thinking that this might prevent any heat from sneaking out into the hearth concrete. Probably overkill (can't have too much insulation!). <snip>
When looking back, when I built my Casa110 I did a few things out of order.

I, too, used SuperIsol board as my insulation layer under the floor. I left the board the same size as the base structure - just as if I had poured a vermulite/cement layer. I then insulated my igloo with two layers of Insulfrax blanket.

Where I went astray was in the next step. I stuccoed the igloo before I put in the granite counter top. This left me with a rough, exposed, and unsightly edge around the dome. I could not get the granite slab tight to the igloo.

This was cured by adding another layer of Insulfrax [unnecessary but, I had the extra material] and then another complete three-coat stucco layer.

J W
Old 07-24-2007, 08:51 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnorris View Post
I stuccoed the igloo before I put in the granite counter top. This left me with a rough, exposed, and unsightly edge around the dome. I could not get the granite slab tight to the igloo.
My list of tips continues to grow! That's a good one. Thank you for the heads up!

Ken
Old 07-24-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
I'll probably trim the SuperIsol as you suggest, but leave 1 or 2 cm extra sticking out from under the dome.
Just a safety reminder, whenever you are cutting anything except a 2-by-4, wear a dust mask. Silicosis is no joke. Those insulation blocks throw up a lot of dust.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
wear a dust mask. Silicosis is no joke. Those insulation blocks throw up a lot of dust.
AND hearing protection.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 PM
Journeyman

I concur with David - it's nasty stuff. I had only straight cuts, so noise wasn't a problem - a fine toothed hand saw went through it easily. For a circle, a jigsaw with a fine blade would probably be the way to go, or a fine keyhole saw. This stuff is brittle, and it chips and dents easily, especially at the start and end of cuts!
Old 07-24-2007, 08:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The mask sounds like a great idea for that product - in regard to noise, I've been to a few too many Black Sabbath concerts for that to be an issue.

So far, I've been cutting my pavers and island brick without a mask - after my shower, my nose is clean, so that's probably a good indicator that the wet saw is working (I hope).

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just don't lean in too close to the mist...or turn the pump volume down just a bit to avoid the mist (thats what I did). I can't stand wearing a mask in FL heat and humidity.