Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Super Excited to start new project

So im reading this amazing write up and ive got a few questions. As im reading i am taking down notes.

Where do i get fire clay from, sand and fire clay for the base (between bricks and Insulation.
Should i use a Styrofoam templet for the dome?
How are the wood shim cuts determined? i dont understand the exact size of the shime that will allow the curvature.
What is done with the (wooden) shims when the bricks are set? is it safe for (wood) to stay inside the bricks which the hot oven is fired? are those (wood) shims latter removed?
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
So im reading this amazing write up and ive got a few questions. As im reading i am taking down notes.

Where do i get fire clay from, sand and fire clay for the base (between bricks and Insulation.
How are the wood shim cuts determined? i dont understand the exact size of the shime that will allow the curvature.
What is done with the (wooden) shims when the bricks are set? is it safe for (wood) to stay inside the bricks which the hot oven is fired? are those (wood) shims latter removed?
I got mine from a lumber yard that carried the lime, concrete, block, etc...

A lot of people used the indispensable tool (do a search, a ton of posts about it). I used a vein that I spun around as I built the walls.

There are some calculators that have been posted but as you set the brick against the tool or vein is will be pretty obvious on what size is required.

What is done with the (wooden) shims when the bricks are set? is it safe for (wood) to stay inside the bricks which the hot oven is fired? are those (wood) shims latter removed

Remove them and fill the void with mortar. I grout bag is ideal for this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Master Builder

Great, so the shims are removed, the PDF did not state this, its pretty obvious i know but i had to ask. Sounds like a mediocre project. My father is a GC so it should be too difficult. Does everyone purchase the insulation and Cermanic board from this site?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Master Builder

Can i get away with using red clay brick at the door/chimney area instead of firebrick? I intend to use re-purposed/used brick
Old 10-24-2012, 04:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

No - the flue is pretty damn hot. It would probably work if you don't need it to last. I'm pretty sure standard brick will spall. There are some here that know a lot more about the dynamics than I do - hopefully they will chime in...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Master Builder

Ok if its not a good idea then im ok with that. I guess i want the exposed stone look. I hate it how insulation and mortar has to be installed to cover up the firebrick, but i guess it has to be done. Instead i guess i will leave the chimeny area exposed firebrick and the dome itself after installing insulation and mortar i will install more stone over the dome. Is this a good idea? will the dome get too heavy??
Thank you.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm confused. I used a liner for the flue but it can be made from fire brick. I covered it with decorative brick - is that the look you are after? The dome WILL be heavy. Make sure you build the foundation / hearth correctly.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Master Builder

I dont want to use a metal flue, just build up brick like a chimney. The dome i want to be covered in stone. So it will be fire brick, insulation, chicken wire mortar then stone, if funds are tight i just might do smooth stucco finish. So if i do stone will the dome support the weight, im not concerend about the base/foundation.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yea, the dome will support the weight. I was a little concerned myself so I dropped some steel into the hearth for a buttress, Most have not done that and have no issues.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Master Builder

Ok good to know. Thanks.