Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Structural Slab for new WFO

Last casting photos:

Structural Slab for new WFO-img_2485.jpg

Structural Slab for new WFO-img_2488a.jpg

Structural Slab for new WFO-img_2486a.jpg

There is a definite difference in the finish of the casting between inside and outside, all molds were cast filling from the top. The air/water migrated upward when vibrated--leaving the somewhat course texture on the outside. The inside finish is glass smooth (or as smooth as the mold).
Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Master Builder

The insulative layer seems to have set up hard and flat.
The last batch I mixed, there was about a scoop full left over- so I put it into a plastic bag to retain moisture (as a sample).

That also set hard, but it will crack if you apply a significant amount of hand pressure and if you persist in working it-- you can make it crumble.

I don't think it will pose a problem - the structural slab (is) a permanent form.

Just wondering if that is the nature of the beast? Or a problem with the amount of water in the original mix?

The insulation layer has been covered with plastic for many days now and still there is moisture on the underside of the plastic facing the insulation.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Mikku,

I am very impressed with the quality work of your casting. I had a chance to visit your country earlier this year and found your country very inviting, friendly people, and would not hestitate to revisit. Keep sending pictures of your progress. Will be watching with interest.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:43 PM
Master Builder

I thought you are located in Utah?

My country is: North Country wilderness, near "Boundary waters Canoe Area, Superior National Forest- Minnesota, USA!

Also a beautiful place!! Wonderful lakes, rivers, pines, good fishing, lots of white tailed deer!

I live in Japan for a lot of reasons, but still a Yank from Scandanavian stock.

Thanks for compliments.

Yes, there are a lot of friendly people here. No fear taking a walk anywhere at night!

Lots of heritage, nearby snow topped mountains, good water from mountain springs, tall trees, few people - at least in this area!

But little wildlife AND cannot eat the mushrooms for a while! --(maybe another 30 years). You know the "Cesium story"!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:27 PM
Master Builder

Russell, here are a few more pics.

Structural Slab for new WFO-img_2547a.jpg

Structural Slab for new WFO-img_2548a.jpg

I laid the hearth bricks out on a table, first for marking for cuts.

Then looked at the scale of this oven.. it is only 29 1/2" diameter (750mm).

I don't think I can reach inside to change bricks if damaged!

My wife would not have the upper body strength to do it either in such a cramped position either!

So, I am going to pick up an additional 6 brick, fill in the perimeter with some 1/2 cuts and place the dome on top!

If there is a problem in the future--options:

-live with it
-cut some tiles to fit on top of hearth
-tear down and rebuild

Any are not that big a deal!

Now I am thinking of some type of light weight enclosure-but plans change (daily!!)

These brick are laid directly on top of the pericrete layer without anything below, used a level to check straightness; swapped out one center brick and no rocking or spaces beneath the level --all directions! Think I'm going to leave it alone before making it worse!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes I am a native Utahn but travel a fair amount. A long way from the Great Lake region. Can't recall where anyone has actually had to remove a hearth brick so I think you have the right idea of placing dome on brick. Good luck.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 02-04-2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Master Builder

If you are planning on coming this way again, you might enjoy some of the World Heritage sites around Nikko. It is about an hour by train (either JR) originating at Tokyo station or (Tobu Line) originating at Asakasa Station. If I have time, would gladly show you around!

Thanks-I am on my way to get the rest of the brick. Thinking now about using a very thin layer of plywood (1.5 to 2mm) to slide the castings over the brick. Then just leave it in place to burn away during the curing.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Use could use some wood dowels and roll the oven in place the remove them one at time. Kind of like how they moved the volcanic sculptures on Easter Island. Will have to check you area out. BTW those JR Bullet trains are an engineering marvel.

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Master Builder

Struck out on the brick, different manufacturers are different thickness.

The stuff I had ordered last week and received yesterday was supposed to be 65mm thick x 114 x 230, ended up being 61x111x128- Other place had a few brick but all 65. Ordered the (6) only as well as a "trowel on refractory" for closing the seams on the dome. But have to wait a few days. Patience is not one of my virtues. I really need to work on it.

The newest fast train is called "Nozomi" and that thing almost flies. That particular arrangement is for long routes heading out of Tokyo- to west Japan (Nagoya, Osaka, Hiroshima, Hakata in Kyushu). If you do come for any length of time, make sure you purchase a "JR Rail Pass" before leaving USA. It can be picked up here once you enter. A much cheaper way to get around for foreigners for limited time. (1 wk), (2 wk). Still a little expensive, but one quick round trip- Tokyo to Osaka would pay for the entire pass!

China has a new train that is significantly faster!

USA would be nice to have a system similar but the population is not dense enough to warrant the huge initial expenses--most places elevated over other roads and rail networks! Really an unbelievable undertaking, suited for Europe maybe USA --Florida to Boston corridore.

Have to try out the dowel system, sounds like a winner!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 AM
Master Builder

Nice work, Mikku.