Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Structural Slab for new WFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post
Hello Stonecutter,
If you are bandsawing and thickness planing, then you are working with dry wood.... right? I have to be missing something...oak is a great firewood...what is the cladding and shielding that will prevent it from spontaneously combusting?

You and Davids have been doing this for a while--working with WFO's....why would both of you use wood when at first glance, it would be assumed to be an inappropriate material?
Yeah, the wood is from oak skids...they are 3"x3"x8' and rock hard. As for the shielding, I'm not sure if I will do it. When I use a WFO, I try to control the fire so as not to depend of the door as a damper...that is to say, I won't be blocking off a raging fire with a wooden door. It's there more to slow down the draw (partially closing off the opening ) or to help store heat after all the coals are out of the oven itself.

I don't think wood makes a better fire blocker than a quality metal door, like the one Karangi Dude has. But, the right types of wood can and have been used around WFO's and fireplaces for centuries. I have restored dozens of beehive ovens in homes from the 17th,18th and 19th centuries and many of them had heavy oak or chestnut lintels directly above the firebox...still in good condition. A wood door will last as long as it's not treated like something fireproof, and it's hard to beat the character of a well made wooden door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Last edited by stonecutter; 04-17-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I am also using the same wood to make a couple different peels and serving trays.

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Stonecutter,

I work in the pipeline industry where skids are used regularly but it is rare now a days, at least in this area to have oak skids anymore unless the pipe very large diameter and thick wall. I would hang on to those skids, a dying past. I wish I had all those oak skids from years past for my WFO oven now.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think I have 50 of these pieces...my Dad broke the skids down a while back and he was going to CL them but offered them to me. I couldn't pass it up...some will be used as fire wood, because they are twisted a bit. I see oak being used for stone pallets too, but the yards charge you $20 if you don't return them..it's not really worth it.

A lot of my stonework over the years involves re-using/recycling material...it will be cool to re-purpose the oak into doors (I plan on making a couple spares), peels and serving platters, etc,etc.....

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-25-2013, 05:01 AM
Master Builder

I am sure anything that you will come out great! Just looking at some of your projects shows that you take a lot of pride in the work that you do and will go to great lengths to produce a thing of beauty.

Looking forward to seeing some of your handywork that is not masonry! Looks like this week-end I'll be starting a fire for the first time. The inner door for overnight heat retention will probably just be a 2x10 pieced together and soaked in water to keep it from burning. I can look for something more appropriate once the curing is done and my final render coat and stucco finish is in place.

People talk about waterproofing WFO's.... there is special hydraulic cement used for stopping leaks in masonry foundations.... What is your take on something like that?

Mine will just be plastered, several times and covered with a heavy rubber sheet when not in use. Later, there must be a roof over the oven.. Waterproofing the dome only still leaves the landing open to water infiltration... Roofs and overhangs keep water away!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikku View Post

People talk about waterproofing WFO's.... there is special hydraulic cement used for stopping leaks in masonry foundations.... What is your take on something like that?

Mine will just be plastered, several times and covered with a heavy rubber sheet when not in use. Later, there must be a roof over the oven.. Waterproofing the dome only still leaves the landing open to water infiltration... Roofs and overhangs keep water away!
Do you mean what do I think of using hydraulic cement on a WFO? It would not be a good idea idea...primarily because anything that traps moisture inside masonry and prevents it from breathing is bad....period.

Any pictures of your build?....sounds like you are moving right along!

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 AM
Master Builder

No, I am not planning on using hydraulic cement. but there was a lot of discussion on waterproofing--someone posted about a Henry product somewhere ...guess it is some type of waterproof paint. Paint must also be a no - no... stops water from coming in.....traps water from escaping!

Nothing really happening with my build. last time, I put 5:1 pericrete around chimney. That was a couple of weeks ago. With spring break coming up this week, maybe I can borrow the forklift from my neighbor. His business should be closed for several days---so maybe I can keep the forklift at my place for Golden Week.

That would give me a chance to fire it and put it indoors overnight if it looks like rain or SNOW!

I have some thoughts for oven #2. A lighter variety than #1... and maybe just a sheetmetal shell cover with loosefill vermiculite. That would be a very quick build. have to see what this oven does--"like looking how the smoke flows out of the oven"---can easily make modifications to the molds for a second try.

I saw that Northern Minnesota just got another 8" of snow in Duluth! I miss the people but not the snow!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thoroseal is a cementitous breathable paint which works well on masonry.

Yeah, I don't miss the snow that much either. It was great watching it fall, but it meant a lot of extra work for me...it got old after four or five months

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin
Old 04-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Thoroseal is a cementitous breathable paint which works well on masonry.

Yeah, I don't miss the snow that much either. It was great watching it fall, but it meant a lot of extra work for me...it got old after four or five months
Was it as bad as this? A Southerner Moves North? Rated PG .
cobblerdave likes this.

Last edited by Gulf; 04-25-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Was it as bad as this? A Southerner Moves North? Rated PG .
It was worse...those patterns lasted all winter sometimes.

I noticed it only took a week to break that wuss down though!!

Current WFO build -

John Ruskin