Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Strong dismountable wooden stand for oven

Any ideas on a strong wooden base I can assemble and disassemble? Thank you
Old 06-22-2011, 10:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You could use cinder blocks. Just don't mortar them together. Build a big solid cube of them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 06-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonomacast View Post
Any ideas on a strong wooden base I can assemble and disassemble? Thank you
Do a google for knockdown fittings.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:18 PM
Master Builder

At the risk of being droll and boring I would suggest you start with deciding how you are going to lift the WFO. Once you decide the method you will know the amount of lift is for each cycle of lifting. The you will be able to decide what you can make or use that will fit that lift.

OK, example: Say you were considering using a pallet jack like I suggested. First I would obtain the pallet jack. They can be had quite inexpensively used and come in various widths so do some research. I got a wide stance unit called the "Big Joe" made in Sweden and is capable of lifting and moving 5500 lbs. I paid $50 cash. It' what is called a low profile meaning it gets lower to the ground than most pallet jacks; it lifts just over 3" max so here (if you were in the USA instead of Dorset UK although your screen name is Sonoma, like in northern CA?) a material that is readily available in a easy multiple of 3 inches is two pieces of 2 by wood. 2x4, 2x6 etc. Yeah, they say 2 inches thick but what they sell you is really 1 1/2 inches thick. Long story in that but just deal with it. So if one laps the joins at the corners one can create a strong structure. So if you wanted the base 36 inches off the ground (substrate whatever you are sitting the WFO on) you would have 12 lifts of three inches. BFD it would take maybe an hour to jack and position the pieces all of which would have been cut and assembled (to be sure they fit before hand). It would take some creative thinking 'cause you will lift and place a layer then set the unit down on that layer, then lower the forks and reposition the cross pieces doing the lifting and repeat. The actual lifting would be done by the pallet jack lifting a couple of pieces of channel or box tube that fit into notches in each two board lift. Each time you lift you can place a new support layer. You set it down on that support layer lower the forks move the cross members (lifting pieces, channel iron, box tube measuring 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches) to the notches in that just set layer jack it up set a new layer and repeat.

Ah, I can see I lost you at the notches....the notches are gaps in the bottom board of the two board layer. The top board is continuous the bottom board is not, but rather has two spaces one for each of the two cross members ( 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch channel etc etc) which sit crosswise upon the forks of the pallet jack. Pallet forks fit into what will become wood storage... the notches are in each layer on boths sides of the stand and the back is a continuous layer (no notches) Clear now?

Slow maybe, but fast isn't everything and hurry simply gets you more time to wonder what went wrong. Each layer is separate and easy prefabricated, easily transported by single person carry. When finally assembled place a piece of plywood on the side and screw the layers together.

No need for high end wood so purchase grade 3 economy grade lumber. Outer layer of plywood gets a coat of paint and then a piece of old bedsheet stretched over it while wet. When dry a coat of glue and some sand rubbed on it and then paint and everyone thinks it's stucco. Time to move simply tear off the sheet (it'll separate at the paint layer) and unscrew the plywood and then reverse the whole process except you lift then remove a support layer then lower, then reposition and lift and remove etc etc.

Hope this helps,
Wiley