Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Starting new 36" build

Getting closer. Looking back in round and level. I love that this thing is strong enough to stand on already.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting new 36" build-wp_000030.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:55 AM
Journeyman

Looking good Dennis nice work - great to see it move in towards the plug. The dome shaped oven has kind of hypnotic attraction I can't imagine in the vaulted ovens.

I stood on mine and have some photos but I waited a judicious period before I would chance it, and not before I had closed the dome. With my lack of planning when I had finished the dome I was at a loss how to continue for a week or two ( I'm now at another crossoads where I can't decide which way to go)
Old 05-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Whoohoo!

The dome is closed in! I am giddy with excitement! the interior shot is not a great one, but best I could get just putting my arm in there.

Now I am hoping to get some serious traction on the outer arch and flue with the rest of the day.

It's really coming together. I kind of can't believe it.
Attached Thumbnails
Starting new 36" build-wp_000031.jpg   Starting new 36" build-photo-may-28-12-47-17   Starting new 36" build-photo-may-28-12-42-01  

Last edited by deejayoh; 05-28-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Journeyman

That looks like the last "spike" joining the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads Dennis - it should be gold and have a ceremony with many dignitaries. Failing that it deserves at least a few beers - so cheers and congrats .
http://www.sfmuseum.org/hist11/spike.jpg

Last edited by Amac; 05-29-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I need some advice on curing the oven. How long do you need to wait for the mortar to dry out before you start heating the dome?

Can I start the curing process before I get the outer arch and vent installed?

Old 05-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Apprentice

You can but when you install them you need to let them dry too or risk cracking the outer arch/vent chamber.

I think you can start curing 2 weeks after last brick was mortared. But take it really slow.
One week after laying of last brick I think you can put in a lamp or small heater. I'm sure the Pro's will correct me if that's not right.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looking good, Dennis! Yet another oven-builder who will soon me by while I twiddle my thumbs.

John
Old 05-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
Looking good, Dennis! Yet another oven-builder who will soon me by while I twiddle my thumbs.

John
Thanks John. Not as pretty as yours, but I think it'll do.

I'm planning to incorporate/steal a couple of your ideas forthe entry: a soapstone floor (sourcing a scrap now); A heat break around the inner arch; and a metal divider between the vent floor and oven floor (still looking for this)

I started building the vent arch last night, and since there is a heat break - it's basically a free-standing structure on the insulation. I'm a bit worried about stability. You have any thoughts on this? I will post a shot of the way that I am building it when I get home so you can see what I am talking about.

Edit: Scratch that comment about stealing the soapstone idea from you! I just went back and looked at your thread and saw that you'd dropped that and gone to stainless. I was thinking about putting a piece of rectangular stainless tubing (like this) between the firebrick oven floor and the soapstone vent floor. I figured that should stop much of the heat transfer into the vent. Should I reconsider? I'm not looking for perfect - but definitely want to have something that works.

Last edited by deejayoh; 05-29-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Apprentice

Steel is better heat conductor than brick, about 12 times as good. Thermal Conductivity of some common Materials and Gases

How about just cutting a taper on the brick edge that is against the oven floor? that would leave a void between most of the oven landing and floor.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laku View Post
Steel is better heat conductor than brick, about 12 times as good. Thermal Conductivity of some common Materials and Gases

How about just cutting a taper on the brick edge that is against the oven floor? that would leave a void between most of the oven landing and floor.
I can see that a solid piece of steel would be an issue - but I was thinking that stainless tubing might effectively create an air gap.

A taper would work, but I worry about chipping. That firebrick is not the strongest stuff, and getting a stronger material at the transition was another plus of the stainless.