Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 08:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Starting new 36" build

I would think that the thin edge will spall easier. But after a point it will stop - where that point is I have no clue. Why are you tapering them so much? If you are willing to cut the angle why not do it to a full size brick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Last edited by Les; 03-26-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:31 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
I would think that the thin edge will spall easier.
I think the thin edge dennis is making will be invisible to the inside of the dome - so maybe spalling shouldn't be a problem.
On the other hand if he used the full brick and the same angle it would show a very narrow edge to the inside, which could be problematic.
So I think it will be OK.
I have seen builds where some people fill what would be large mortar joints with wedges of brick, and haven't seen problems reported.

There's a lot to be said though for the straightforward hemispherical dome.
BTW dennis it looks like there are no wedges under the arch form. Make sure it is removable easily after the arch is complete.
Aidan
Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, the idea is that the edge won't show inside the oven at all - so there should be no opportunity for spalling. I agree that the straight forward dome is probably a lot easier, but I guess I just have to things difficult for myself

As for the arch - actually that is my "IT", not my arch form. I had to use a plywood form because the shape of the dome precludes a lever-type tool. So I am going to be shimming that with cardboard or something as I lay up the dome so that there will be room for it to spin inside the dome.

One thing I did with the form for the dome which may be of interest to others is that I made the radius adjustable. As shown it works all the way to the edge, but if I remove the part that is screwed on with the block, I can use it to gauge the angle of the bricks around the arch too.

The arch is sitting on a couple of pieces of 2X6 that I can easily knock sideways to get them out once the arch is in place
Old 03-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Journeyman

Of course Dennis - my bad - I see what it is now.
Quote:
if I remove the part that is screwed on with the block, I can use it to gauge the angle of the bricks around the arch too.
When you say "the angle of the bricks around the arch" you don't mean the arch bricks? The way I see it is that will allow you only to get the correct angle on the arch keystone brick, and the only reason for removing the added section is so it can rotate without disturbing the arch form - no?
I actually used the IT to help build the arch in advance - without needing to change the radius.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amac View Post
When you say "the angle of the bricks around the arch" you don't mean the arch bricks? The way I see it is that will allow you only to get the correct angle on the arch keystone brick, and the only reason for removing the added section is so it can rotate without disturbing the arch form - no?
I actually used the IT to help build the arch in advance - without needing to change the radius.
Yeah, I probably wasn't exactly clear. I was referring to using it to set the bottom/back angle of the brick - which I want to contour so it matches the dome. The top angle will be set on the keystone brick to match the course of bricks to which it aligns. And yes, removing the added section lets the guide clear the arch form
Old 04-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Finally had some decent weather, and I got the Arch done this weekend. Man, that thing caused me some headaches. I figured out that since my dome was not a constant radius, I had to reflect that in the transition.

I knew that the arch stuck out 1.5 inches at the bottom, and from my sketchup, I knew the same measure was 3 inches for the keystone. so I laid all the bricks out side by side on a table, and drew a line from the keystone to the bottom brick - and cut all them according to that line. Seems to have worked out ok.

I had to hack at the back of the bricks with a grinder blade after I got them in, because I had that measurement wrong. But no one will ever see that...

This was the first sunny weekend we've had since I started this thing. Hoping the pace will pick up a bit now.

My new mantra: When I get something wrong, if fixing it won't make the pizza any better (or get here any faster), forget about it!

The picture is from saturday. I pulled the form this morning and finished off the transition row. The arch is still standing...

Edit: it was still light enough out that I snapped a new pic showing the arch standing on it's own.
Also, check out the little stool I snagged at the Harbor Freight sale today!
Attached Thumbnails
Starting new 36" build-wp_000071.jpg   Starting new 36" build-wp_000076.jpg   Starting new 36" build-wp_000074.jpg  

Last edited by deejayoh; 04-08-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Added another pic
Old 04-09-2012, 05:02 AM
Journeyman

Well done Dennis looking good now. You won't have to worry about those angled cuts when you are doing the front (vent area?) arch. Very good tapers and you managed to get a decent size keystone.
Couldn't open the first pic for some reason btw?
Aidan
Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Laborer

Location: Willamette [will-lam-it] Valley, Oregon [ore-y-gun]

Your good-looking build, and the improvement in the weather, is inspiring me to get going again on my own project.

Last edited by gmchm; 04-09-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Had some good weather this weekend, so got one day of work in. I finished up the 5th course and got most of the cuts done on 6th. Then I ran out of HS50 mortar. Grr..

I think instead of ponying up another $100 for a bag of mortar, I am going to go with homebrew. Does anyone see any issues with changing mortar type halfway through the build?

Planning to pick up the sand/cement/lime today. I already have a bag of fireclay
Old 04-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Got some unexpected good weather this afternoon, so I was able to start working with the homebrew mortar. My first reaction was that it wasn't at all sticky. Then I figured out it needs to be a bit looser/wetter than the HeatStop and it was ok. I do think the sand I have may be a little coarse - but I can't seem to find the superfine sand. I got it at the local cement and masonry supplier.

I got about half a course in using the homebrew. Seems to work, and what a cost savings!

Happy to report that I seem to have done ok on the arch to dome transition using my high school geometry skills. I am pretty happy with how well it seems to be lining up.

Here are some progress shots. I am off work this week and hoping to get the dome closed in!
Attached Thumbnails
Starting new 36" build-wp_000078.jpg   Starting new 36" build-wp_000079.jpg