Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Starting new 36" build

Looks brilliant so far DJO - very tight cuts - looks like you won't need any mortar at all In Kens vent is the opening for the flue just 4.5 ". Is there a good reason not to bite off a bit more than half a brick - or does it matter?
Aidan

Last edited by Amac; 03-12-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amac View Post
In Kens vent is the opening for the flue just 4.5 ". Is there a good reason not to bite off a bit more than half a brick - or does it matter?
Aidan
Good point.

I'll probably make it 5" x 10" - giving me 50" of space - which is the same as the area of the flue I am using. Maybe 5 x 11 just to be safe!

His posts indicate that the oven draws well, and it is a 42" - so I think a 39" should be fine with the same design.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It is a good idea to have some wooden wedges under the arch form so when you remove them it will drop 1/2" or so for easier removal. From the look of your pic you are going to have a hard time removing those bricks under it the way it is set up now. You don't want to upset your brick arch once it's laid.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Journeyman

btw DJO - on the arch geometry - it's hard to comment without knowing exactly what radius you chose for the arch curve. Maybe I missed it somewhere. The rounded part all look like the same cut from the pics (maybe not) but I would have thought that unless you go for a semicircular arch like I did, you will have trouble getting it to fit the dome as it goes up. You know this problem that the bricks need to "reach" back in which would make the arch bricks at the top appear to protrude more than the lower ones. With the bigger radius that might not be much of a problem?

I thought that Gianni had said that he would have cut the arch bricks as he arrived at them. Maybe John if you are reading you could clarify that!

Last edited by Amac; 03-12-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Aidan -
I am going with an elipse shape for the dome - 18" height - so I am hoping the cut will be right. I expect I will have to do some trimming as I go up.

As I said, I am not planning to mortar them all into place until I get the dome up higher. I'm also planning to use my IT (once I build it...) to check all the clearances

Probably won't happen for a couple weeks - as we've got cold temps and rain forecast for the next week, and I am headed to Whistler for the weekend anyway!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Journeyman

Are you using a "lazy susan" type design for the IT to achieve the flattened top?
I think with the lazy susan IT the flattening happens naturally as you get higher up depending I guess on the offset of the pivot.
Quote:
I am going with an elipse shape for the dome - 18" height - so I am hoping the cut will be right. I expect I will have to do some trimming as I go up.
Ideally the slope where the dome wall meets the arch will be exactly the thickness of the dome wall (1/2 a brick), so the inner edge should coincide with the inner radius as measured by the IT, and the outer edge with the outer radius.
With those straight sided arches I am not sure that can be achieved for the rounded part.

Quote:
..and I am headed to Whistler for the weekend anyway!
I guess that means skiing - enjoy the slopes and don't forget a pint of green beer for paddy's day
regards
Aidan
Old 03-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amac View Post
Are you using a "lazy susan" type design for the IT to achieve the flattened top?
I think with the lazy susan IT the flattening happens naturally as you get higher up depending I guess on the offset of the pivot.

Ideally the slope where the dome wall meets the arch will be exactly the thickness of the dome wall (1/2 a brick), so the inner edge should coincide with the inner radius as measured by the IT, and the outer edge with the outer radius.
With those straight sided arches I am not sure that can be achieved for the rounded part.
Yes, I am using the lazy susan IT - so the vertical portion of my walls should match to the vertical portion of my dome - so that the dome meets up with the arch. If not, I've wasted a few bricks and some time cutting. I will be able to check with the IT before I lay any bricks.

It took me quite a bit of figuring and sketching up - but I think I finally have the geometry right for the dome shape I want and the offset of the IT from the center. I've attached a screen snap.

I don't even want to attempt drawing a scale model of how that interacts with the arch. Makes my head explode. I will just figure it on the real thing
Attached Thumbnails
Starting new 36" build-dome-cut-away-39-inch.jpg  
Old 03-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Journeyman

That is an ambitious and impressive project. Excellent - may the oven gods go with you.
Aidan
Old 03-17-2012, 11:10 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
I don't even want to attempt drawing a scale model of how that interacts with the arch. Makes my head explode. I will just figure it on the real thing
I know exactly where you are, DJO and your approach is good. Don't kill yourself thinking about it - it will come. Consider some ideas for your gameplan. They worked for me:

1. The most important factor in arch integration is it's placement (how deep). Draw a profile of your dome and regardless of your arch size/shape, place the arch so that the top-most center brick (TDC) matches the profile of the dome. Because the angle of the dome at this level is shallowest of all arch bricks, this brick will extend the deepest into the dome. Proper placement of the TDC arch brick will also ensure consistency with the curvature of the dome (not the profile) and once the arch is complete, allow you to proceed on up in round.

If you will be following the FB plans and not angling your arch bricks, it doesn't hurt to build your arch first. If you will be angling your arch bricks, cut each of the arch base bricks first, then the TDC brick to match the dome curvature and profile. You can then cut each successive arch brick to match the front of the arch and be consistent with the inner arch curve and profile for each course.

This approach works with hemispherical as well as semi-straight-sided arches.

Hope this helps,

John
Old 03-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks John. That is super helpful.

I am thinking I got a little ahead of myself when I cut the backs of my arch bricks, because I hadn't yet calculated what the angle should be.

But it sounds like I can use the sketchup I put together for the dome profile to figure out the angle. I just need to match the height of my arch (11" at the bottom, 15.5" at the top) to the angle of the bricks in my picture and wa-la, I have my angle.

See attached - The yellow trapezoid would be my arch brick. Does this look right? That angle carries all the way across?

Thanks!

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Starting new 36" build-dome-cut-away-39-inch-plus  
Aanrii likes this.