Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 12:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Starting new 36" build

10 out of 10 for effort.
Have an elephant stamp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:35 AM
Master Builder

Looks great! The attention to detail in the finish is an elephant stamp earner alright!

That's setting the bar right up there.

Congratulations............... Steve
Old 05-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got the last bits of touch-up paint onto the oven and power-washed the patio last week. With the stretch of nice weather we are having here in Seattle, I was finally able to get some higher res shots of my 100% complete oven and kitchen

Starting new 36" build-img_1024.jpg Starting new 36" build-img_1026.jpg

Total time elapsed on the project was about 15 months - but I took about 6 months off for the winter. Total budget was about $8.5k, but more than half of that was for the shiny stainless bits and the barbeque. Thanks to everyone for their help and guidance along the way. I'm looking forward to getting a lot of use out of this in the coming years.
Gulf, Xene, thickstrings and 1 others like this.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great job DJ!

A very beautiful oven which makes me think of the "F word".........Finished .

Maybe, one day, I can use that same word for the MQ .

It's fun to see a "finished" oven that I have watched from the very beginning .

Again, great job! I've learned from your build, and others will too.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:04 AM
Master Builder

DJ it looks pretty balanced with the amount of stainless, brick and stucco etc.

nice work

Old 06-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Apprentice

WOW is all that i can say, such good looking oven space.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:17 AM
Laborer

Hi Dennis,
You've got a really nice setup there. I am curious about your chimney finish. Could you provide the dimensions of your chimney chase? Is it the size of the duravent chase flashing? And what is the height of the chase flashing from the roof peak?

Thanks!

Link to my build:
Old 06-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbruning View Post
Hi Dennis,
You've got a really nice setup there. I am curious about your chimney finish. Could you provide the dimensions of your chimney chase? Is it the size of the duravent chase flashing? And what is the height of the chase flashing from the roof peak?
Thanks! That chimney chase was one of the more difficult calcs in the oven. I used the duravent flashing, which is 21.75" on each side. It's brick splits mortared onto lath over cement board. I tried to size the chase so that the final size of the brick would fit just inside the flashing - but somewhere I screwed up by an inch or so, as the brick is slightly larger than the flashing. I just used a grinder at the top to cut it back a bit so that the flashing nestles in there.

I think the top of the chase is only 6 inches or so above the peak of the roof.. The hard part is working out the height of the roof, the angle of the roof, and the length of flue you need so that it all looks right. My #1 concern was that the corners of the eaves be high enough that I would not hit my head on them. They're 75". Then I played around with the pitch of the roof in sketchup til I was satisfied with the look. I didn't want it too flat. That pretty much dictated the chase height since I had only sprung for 42" of flue and there needs to be clearance above the flashing. Even at that, I had to cut the storm flashing smaller to still have it fit.

End of the day, I am pleased with the profile - but it was a pain to get the way I wanted it.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Laborer

Thank you. That is a big help. I'm a ways away from that yet but I am starting to think about my options and the items you mentioned - pitch, flue length, eave height etc. is where I am at right now. I am also playing around with sketchup to see how the different proportions look. I have found that application to be extremely useful throughout this project.

Link to my build:
Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Did not want to hijack the other thread so............

Well the paw must be feeling better. I retired from teaching at Snowbird (20 years) but I still know the resort. I can't say I will not go back but not until I retire from my real job. So maybe we can go tear it up! I have been a slug at finishing the dome and fall is definitely here so need to kick @#$

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log