Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Starting new 36" build

Great info Brickie and Tex! thanks.

Got the brown coat all on today. Cleaned up the brick on the arch and chimney. I think she's looking pretty good! I kind of like the taupe shade of the wet brown coat, but SO says something lighter.
Starting new 36" build-wp_000303.jpg
I'm headed to the concrete supply tomorrow to look for acrylic final coat + coloring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Apprentice

Gorgeous! Wow - love the landing, the stone is breathtaking...beautiful!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

DJ,

The mosaic turned out very nice along with the polished concrete. How's the foot doing?

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log

Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 04-04-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
DJ,

The mosaic turned very nice along with the polished concrete. How's the foot doing?
Thanks Russell. I am pretty ambulatory now, but still rehabbing. Because of where the bone spur was, they had to detach/reattach my achilles, which means it's at least six months to get back to a normal activity level. It's been a rough patch, but definitely improving.

We had our annual "spring tease" here - a week of great weather that make you think summer is about to start. Today we are slammed back into reality:

Starting new 36" build-weather.png

Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I like the stucco/stone combination, and the brick color compliments the veneer nicely too.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sucker hole here too. A few nice days but suppose to be rainy this weekend too. What did you coat your counters with? I was not pleased with the Lithium sealant I used and going to take off after I get the dome done since I have to repair my counters due to winter damage.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 04-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I initially used some sealer that I bought from the concrete supply store. But after the winter, I have started using "Butcher Block Sealer" from Home Depot.

I did a bit of research on the concrete counter forums on what they recommended, and there seemed to be the most consensus on beeswax+carnuba wax. The Butcher Block Sealer was one product recommended as food safe.

I have taken to treating the counters every month or so. It keeps up the water resistance and leaves a nice rich glow. The sealer is pretty cheap - I think it was $9 a bottle, and I am guessing I can get maybe six treatments out of a bottle. Side benefit is that it works really well on wooden peels and cutting boards too.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Got a bit more nice weather, so I was able to finish the stucco. Yeah! Now it's just a bit of quarter round trim in the eaves, pea gravel around the base, some cleanup - and I am off to the "what's cooking" section full time.

Here's the housing pre-stucco, all taped off because I make a mess with a trowel
Starting new 36" build-wp_000310.jpg
90lbs of stucco mix - probably 30lbs more than I needed. But it comes in bags that size.
Starting new 36" build-wp_000311.jpg
And the finished product
Starting new 36" build-wp_000312.jpgStarting new 36" build-wp_000314.jpg

And just because I have one picture left - here's the baguettes I made yesterday! They came out pretty well for my first try - but I think I needed my oven a bit hotter because the crust wasn't as golden as I would have liked
Starting new 36" build-wp_000308.jpg
brickie in oz, Gulf and dvm like this.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very nice work, it looks great.
Baguettes are often cooked a bit hotter and faster, they are thinner and the heat can penetrate to their centres more easily.
This is good for WFO's because it takes the sting out of the oven so the next batch of bigger loaves can be loaded in and cooked at a slightly lower temp.
I read somewhere that the pizza was actually originally a bakers snack that was cooked hot and fast before they loaded their ovens with other breads.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Looks great DJ,

One day I hope to have a finished look .