Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Starting new 36" build

I'm a Burton fan from way back. I still have my Woodie 145. You must be a free rider powder hound if you like the Barracuda. I have both a Vapor and a T6 depending on what the snow conditions are. But the T6 is my fav. very stable and around. The Vapor is a little noodlily. Have not been able to ride much this year, had to go on sabatical from teaching at Snowbird due to an aging parent. Next year. Glad the foot is doing better. BTW sure like the mosiac, was at the Met in NYC last week looking at mosiacs and it reminded me of your oven. The 2013 oven builders are starting to surface and looking forward to see what new WFOs look like.

PS Feel lucky that your counters are just dull and dingy they could look like mine, spalling and damaged.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Beads up like no tomorrow, I have used a water based sealer on my granite counters,they are still shiny but do not bead water like that.

I have a cutoff I think I will try a wax treatment to see how it holds up. I can put thr cutoff in full sun and weather to give it a good workout.

Thanks for this update.

Chip
Old 03-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I got a little work in on the oven last week, finally getting through the lame foot and the crappy weather. At long last, I finished the brick work above the arch so I have the faux chimney in place. I think it came out pretty well. I got most of the trim under the eaves installed too.

Starting new 36" build-wp_000284.jpg

Now I just need to get the brick onto the chimney chase and the saw goes onto craigslist

About to put in a couple loaves of Ciabatta this morning...

Old 03-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipster View Post
Beads up like no tomorrow, I have used a water based sealer on my granite counters,they are still shiny but do not bead water like that.

I have a cutoff I think I will try a wax treatment to see how it holds up. I can put thr cutoff in full sun and weather to give it a good workout.

Thanks for this update.

Chip
I liked it so much I just sanded one of my peels and applied it to that. It also worked a treat on brightening up the colors in the mosaic.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:45 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Talking Re: Starting new 36" build

OK, I am almost there:
- Landing permanently installed: Check
- Eaves and trimwork installed: Check
- Eaves stained and trim painted (SO did this one): Check
- Brick trim that I knocked off while installing said trim reinstalled: Check

Last stuff to do:
- Point up bricks on chimney (will be referencing the internets to figure out how this is done)
- apply 3-layer stucco to oven house. I am starting scratch coat tomorrow
- Put all tools back in the garage, power wash everything, and finally just enjoy backyard!

The finish line is in sight.
brickie in oz and dvm like this.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Apprentice

I'll be interested to hear if power washing is sufficient, or if you also need acid and a scrub brush to clean up the patio.

My road to pizza is documented here:

Old 04-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Master Builder

very cool! Glad to hear you have survived the winter shut down and back at the wfo. I REALLY like that faux chimney of yours! I may have to add (steal) that.

Tracy

Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Re: Starting new 36" build

More progress to report:

Got the chimney tuck pointed. That was much easier than I expected, and actually kind of fun! I just need to do a bit of cleanup with muriatic acid. I found a great video on Youtube that showed how to do this.
Starting new 36" build-wp_000299.jpg
I am 1/3 of the way through the brown coat on my oven house. Again, it is not as bad as I feared. I am taking it a bit slow - going as far as I can with a bag of mortar each day. Masonry experts, please tell me if I am making any huge mistakes, but let the little ones slide . I used s-type mortar for both the scratch and brown coats. Stuff that I picked up at HD that says "use for scratch and brown coats" on the bag. Hope this is right. Seems fine. I've applied about 1/4" for each coat. Takes about 1 + 1/2 bags to do a coat.
Starting new 36" build-wp_000296.jpgStarting new 36" build-wp_000297.jpgStarting new 36" build-wp_000298.jpg
I do have questions about the final coat. What do I use there? Is there something with an additive that offers better water resistance? And what about pigment? Can I mix the color in instead of painting? Does that start with white mortar so I can do lighter colors? I haven't really research yet, so thought I'd just throw those out there.

Hoping I can finish up by Thursday, I am having a bunch of the neighbors over for dinner Saturday to see what I have been up to so I'd like to get all the tools out of there for that.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
I do have questions about the final coat. What do I use there? Is there something with an additive that offers better water resistance? And what about pigment? Can I mix the color in instead of painting? Does that start with white mortar so I can do lighter colors? I haven't really research yet, so thought I'd just throw those out there.

Do a google for acrylic render.
It comes in a variety of colo(u)rs and is water proofishish.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: Starting new 36" build

The guys i hired for stucco used the cement based mortar for scratch coats and then used synthetic (acrylic) like brickie said. The builder supply place where i bought it said "nobody uses real stucco anymore for final coat." fwiw The stucco guy agreed and said the synthetic is better and lasts, and easier to apply.

It was an El Rey brand and you can pick the texture and color to your taste.

Tracy