Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Starting new 36" build

DJ,

Holy Smoly, what next pizza by the slice!

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here's a couple shots of the landing, all sealed up and in place. I haven't mortared it in yet, but I wanted to share how it will look once installed.
Starting new 36" build-wp_000259.jpgStarting new 36" build-wp_000260.jpg
The area between the two tape strips is going to be a faux chimney made out of the same clinker brick. I just need to get those last decorative bricks and stucco on, paint the trim, clean up the brick face, and I'll be done
mrchipster likes this.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Very nice!!!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 PM
Apprentice

That is the first time I have seen a mosaic on the landing. Congratulations it looks terrific. You shoud both be proud.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Laborer

Looks beautiful. Something to be very proud of.

Love the landing very nice touch!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here are some better pics - not so washed out as the earlier ones.
Starting new 36" build-finish1-copy.jpg Starting new 36" build-detail1-copy.jpg

Old 02-18-2013, 05:44 PM
Apprentice

Very Beautiful

My road to pizza is documented here:

Old 02-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice work dj hows the foot doing?

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 02-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Russell -
thanks for asking about the foot. It is improving. I'm in a walking cast now, no more crutches. I am getting around much better now, but still looking to get out of this thing!

Been sniffing around the clearance sales for next year's board... thinking about that Burton Barracuda.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Carnuba + Beeswax treatment on outdoor concrete counters = what seems to be a very good idea

Counter with a full wax treatment
Starting new 36" build-wp_000282.jpg

Counter with only a test area waxed
Starting new 36" build-wp_000283.jpg

I was frustrated that the counters were so dull and dingy after the winter. Cleaned them up and tested a small patch... then a larger patch... and as soon as the rain clears up I will do the whole thing including the mosaic!

The first wax I used was a furniture polish called Feed-n-Wax that is not exactly food safe. But it worked so well that I bought some Butcher Block Conditioner by the same manufacturer to do the rest. Both have beeswax + carnuba wax as the active ingredients. The wax really brought back the shine to the counters, and you can see how it repels water. I think I will probably need to get into a routine of applying every few months in order to keep up the appearance of the counters as the weather is too hard on them to go with no maintenance.