Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Starting new 36" build

Did you get your plasticizer from Ace?
Edit: Reread post. I think that you meant that the concrete that you poured without the plasticizer was easier to work?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Gulf; 10-01-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Maybe someone else can shine some light on the fortifier/plasticizer subject.
Its just use dish washing detergent, it breaks the surface tension so all sand/cement/gravel particles are evenly coated in water, you use less water per mix, I used it for years.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 10-02-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Super-plasticiser allows you to add the correct amount of water to the mix. Typically a ratio of around 0.5 of water to cement by weight is about right. If you mix it up you end up with a brew that seems too dry and won't flow. Adding water to achieve this results in a weaker product. Adding some super plasticiser thins the mix out and makes it flow. Too much however creates separation (heavy aggregate falling to the bottom). There are many specific chemicals to achieve this characteristic and the products have been designed accordingly. Be wary of using dish washing liquid, which has been designed to wash dishes. Although it works it probably contains phosphates and other chemicals which may have adverse effects on the concrete product either short or long term.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Be wary of using dish washing liquid, which has been designed to wash dishes. Although it works it probably contains phosphates and other chemicals which may have adverse effects on the concrete product either short or long term.
Ive asked everyone who quotes this to provide the written scientific evidence, after 30 years Ive never seen it?

Hear say wont do.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Ive asked everyone who quotes this to provide the written scientific evidence, after 30 years Ive never seen it?

Hear say wont do.
I'm not an industrial chemist, but if you check the chemicals these products contain and you usually have to research their data sheets, you find that the chemicals vary considerably and all have ridiculously complex names. So I defer to those applied chemical engineers and trust that the product they've designed for the application is suitable.
If there are any applied chemists on the forum, maybe they might chime in.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Be wary of using dish washing liquid, which has been designed to wash dishes. Although it works it probably contains phosphates and other chemicals which may have adverse effects on the concrete product either short or long term.
Quote:
I'm not an industrial chemist, but if you check the chemicals these products contain and you usually have to research their data sheets, you find that the chemicals vary considerably and all have ridiculously complex names. So I defer to those applied chemical engineers and trust that the product they've designed for the application is suitable.
If there are any applied chemists on the forum, maybe they might chime in.
So you dont know if it is unsuitable, so why suggest it is?

Old 10-02-2012, 02:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thirty years ago I built a house and added another room every holidays. I did a short bricklaying course and the bloke running it suggested adding a squirt of dish washing liquid to the mortar mix to help make it more "sticky". I stuck by this regime and found it did the job. The last room I added and as I was busy doing other stuff, I got a professional bricklayer to do the job. He advised me against using dish washing liquid as he had been taught in his apprenticeship that only the proprietary product, designed specifically for the purpose, should be used. As I previously stated I'm no applied chemist so I take the advice of those who've developed the specific product. It's not that expensive and it's better to be safe than sorry in my book.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

So still no scientific evidence? Just some bloke said 30 years ago?
Laurentius likes this.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:33 AM
Master Builder

Plasticisers are typically lignosulphonates.
Anionic dishwashing detergents are typically alkylbenzenesulphonates.
The basic unit of a lignosulphonate is really quite similar to an alkylbenzenesuklphonate.
The big difference is that the lignosulphonate is polymerised - lots of the basic units joined together to form long chain polymers.
I think the lignosulphonate plasticiser would work better than detergent.
However I think that the most important bit is the sulphonate functional group, and I therefore think detergent will work adequately.
Look for an unscented, untinted detergent that doesn't contain phosphates (lots of these on the Oz market since we started worrying about water security and re-using grey water) and has "anionic surfactants" as the main ingredient.
The only thing I'm not confident about is the amount. I suggest the minimum that does the job.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 AM
Master Builder

P.S. right now my wife has Palmolive dishwashing detergent in the cupboard - the label says it is a micture of anionic and non-ionic surfactants. Non ionic surfactants often are glycosides. i.e the molecule contains a sugar.
I'd think twice about using it as a plasticiser.