Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Getting Started

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Starting new 36" build

Why are you only going with a 2' chimney instead of the recommended 3' minimum for your oven? I would think you should be trying to find ways to make your chimney higher rather than keep it short,
Old 06-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

hmmm. Where are you seeing that 3' is recommended? I checked this a lot and used an 8" vent - which is I think where people have issues, but AFAIK 2' is ok for a 39" oven. 4 fires in, the oven draws fine. All the FB kits of this size come with the same 2' duravent pipe.

What I read is that chimney height is kind of a design choice, and that you should worry more about the diameter - but maybe I missed something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:02 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Finally got the chance to inspec and the crack is visible inside the oven too - which is worrisome
You'll feel better after you listen to the sage of montreal.

".there is a crack in everything
that's how the light gets in.."

The song should be the oven builders "Anthem"
Anthem, Leonard Cohen, Sharon Robinson & The Webb Sisters - YouTube

Last edited by Amac; 06-21-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Cranked the oven up again last night and got it to ~700 degrees. I had a pretty good fire going in there and no new cracks. It was clear on the side that I pushed the fire over to, but not at the top of the dome. I could see that the existing crack widened out a bit when the oven was hot. By this morning it had shrunk back.

I cooked a couple of pizzas, which came out just ok. Crisp on the bottom, but not with the char on the crust that I want. I need to get the oven hotter still - which I am going to try doing on Saturday if the weather holds. I am having some friends and family over and am going to crank it up, try to get the dome totally clear. I figure it's ready now for a real burn.

I would get some insulation on too, but I am still waiting for the stuff to seal my heat break. Turns out the place that I ordered from is shut down for vacation for 2 weeks and not sending out any orders. Took my money, but didn't tell me that part. Grrr. NWIronworks.com is the name of the place if you want to know where NOT to order.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm sorry to hear about the insulation vendor. :-(

Do you have other options that make sense?

Chris
Old 06-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Chris -
I have the CF blanket - I am just waiting for the insulating rope and caulk that I want to use to seal my heat break. They were about the only place I found that had both, so I gave them my money and don't want the hassle of cancelling/reordering.

I could probably put on the blanket now and just peel it back to install the seal. There has to be a seam at the arch anyway.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Apprentice

deejayoh. I decided to put a "partial" heat break in my build. I will not interrupt the cooking surface to vent floor tiles, But I will isolate the oven arch from the chimney vent. I am planning to stuff a 1/4 inch gap with insulating braid. What type of caulk have you ordered?

dvm
Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayoh View Post
While I'm at it - here's my first draft of an enclosure design.
I like the enclosure you have designed. - You have a knack with CAD! Are you planning to pour a concrete hearth? That is my plan - My step dad (a now retired contractor) recommended that I slope the poured concrete slab away from the oven - I would not of though of that on my own.
dvm
Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

DVM -

Thanks. I am pouring a concrete landing. What I have read is 1% slope away from the oven is sufficient, so that's my plan. I am going to get the framing and siding in place and then pour that. I think. Not 100% sure about the order there. It might be better to build the front of the framing on top of the counter.

For the heat break - when it gets here, I am using Kaowool moldable. It's an insulating caulk - made up of the same stuff as the blanket and CF board that we have under our ovens

Kaowool Caulk Details

This weekend I cleaned up all the construction crap I had lying around the oven and took a load of brick chips to the dump. What a relief to have all that stuff out of the way! I am still going to make another mess putting the enclosure and cladding on the oven - but it's nice to have the brick dust out of there!

Old 06-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Master Builder

DJ
Any thoughts on using the Kaowool or Inswool caulk in the crack that developed in your oven? They seem to be indicated for expansion joints. I don't know if the crack is a problem or just aggravation.
Tracy