Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Getting Started (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/)
-   -   Starting my barrel vault (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/starting-my-barrel-vault-18532.html)

jim81147 10-20-2012 11:13 AM

Starting my barrel vault

Well the time has arrived . I have been doing slab work and cinder block support structure , perlcrete hearth , stuff like that and asking lots of questions and reading all the build threads I can . Yesterday I laid down the hearth bricks and put up 4 courses to form the box of the oven . Today I am starting the dome . I have dry stacked it ( first row ) to make sure the form is correct and things do what they are supposed to . I think I am going to just leave it dry stacked and push the mortar down in the joints with a trowel . My adventure has begun !!! thanks everybody for all the input and answers so far , I am sure there will be plenty more.

Ken524 10-20-2012 11:58 AM

Re: Starting my barrel vault

Post some pics!

jim81147 10-20-2012 07:30 PM

Well I got 3 rows of the dome done today . I have to start on the transition now although I am not 100 % sure yet what to do . time to read some more . One thing that came to mind that I never thought of while looking at the different builds was the dome mortar . After actually doing it I am wondering if the mortar acts more like a glue , or more like a spacer , holding the bricks apart so that they can not fall in on themslves. I did take some pics as i went . I will try to figure out how to post them .

brickie in oz 10-20-2012 10:17 PM

The mud holds the bricks apart. :)

jim81147 10-21-2012 08:48 AM

Al , I see on your build that you put the flue right in the tpo of the dome . I have not seen this approach on any other oven . Do you like the way it works? would you do it again? It appears that it might take a bit more fire to get up to temps , yes?

brickie in oz 10-21-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim81147 (Post 140857)
Al , I see on your build that you put the flue right in the tpo of the dome . I have not seen this approach on any other oven . Do you like the way it works? would you do it again? It appears that it might take a bit more fire to get up to temps , yes?

I love the way it works and it draws beautifully with no smoke out the front unless I put the damper in too far.

Pizza temps in 2 hours, roast temp in 1 hour. :)

jim81147 10-21-2012 02:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
here is my try at posting pics , hope it works . If it is wrong , mods please feel free to remove them . As you can see its just a standard build , nothing earth shattering .

jim81147 10-21-2012 03:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here are a couple more . First one is the dry run to see if things lined up close and the second is putting it to bed for the evening . I covered it with the plastic , then a tarp and turned the light on for more heat . Kept it nice and toasty all night long .Some of the pics I took wont load but you get the idea . comments and critisizms welcome

mrchipster 10-21-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim81147 (Post 140872)
here are a couple more . First one is the dry run to see if things lined up close and the second is putting it to bed for the evening . I covered it with the plastic , then a tarp and turned the light on for more heat . Kept it nice and toasty all night long .Some of the pics I took wont load but you get the idea . comments and critisizms welcome

Nice work keep going, you might want to toss a piece of plywood or cardboard on the floor to make it easier to keep things clean. But you are doing a great job or that nice clean install and nice tight joints.

The photos might not load because they are to large try lowering the quality/resolution of the photos that you use for uploading.

Chip

Tscarborough 10-21-2012 04:06 PM

You should use running bond on the brick of the cieling, i.e. start every other row with a half, but other than that, it looks like a nice oven with a lot of mass.